Headers

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Headers

Loggitt Loggitt
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 06/05/14
06:58 PM

Anyone know if a current header manufacturer is building headers using the design specs that Mickey Thompson used for his Super Scavenger headers, manufactured in the late 60's?  Those were the sweetest sounding headers ever made!  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 121 | Joined: 10/13
10:14 PM

wow... i am  not old enough to have heard of those..

but others have.. there are several custom header manufacturers who can probably turn out custom sets for you. if you show them these images..

MTSSH1 Zps346cac0c

MTSSH2 Zps80a4f2d6

MTSSH3 Zps14df3a19

MTSSH5 Zpsbcfe7417

MTSSH4 Zpsa2c10c99

burns stainless makes a merge collector that works in a similar function  causes the single exhaust flows inertia to scavenge the collector better.

a few years back.. a friend with a hot honda had a nasty raspy sounding exhaust i looked at his exhaust and penciled out a drawing of something to tune it and get rid of the slapping sound at higher speeds..  he had several made up.. tried the first one out.. it increased his horsepower 10.. from 265 to 275 on the chassis dyno..  and instead of the car sounding like a raspy honda. it sounded like a big block chevy.     this slipped into his collector joint in minutes..

016060A4 B4d9 4F15 Bd08 64E547dace6a Zps07f8bae4  i don't have any cars or engines to dyno this design..   there are tuning tubes available currently that have a gentle taper. but none that i see with a straight section.. that makes this 4 stroke exhaust into something similar to a 2 stroke extractor system..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 121 | Joined: 10/13
10:30 PM

cyclone headers that used to be in north hollywood used to make anti reversion headers that had anti version tubes part way down the primary tubes..  they worked too well in some cases..  they decided against a set for motor homes as it got crazy fuel mileage.. but melted the pistons without massive retuning of the carb.. they figured it was cheaper to NOT make that header than it was to cover all the melted motor home motors for people who did not rejet their carbs.. and that would have been a thermoquad on those motors.  FYI...  

Loggitt Loggitt
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 08/17/14
08:06 PM

Thanks for that info!  I plan on using one of the new "Self-Programming" fuel injection systems instead of a carburetor, though.