Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Can I apply clear coat after sanding original paint job with 2000 grit

kpierce kpierce
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 06/02/14
03:50 PM

Hello:
I had a few scratches in my 2000 lexus. So, I got some spot putty and then sanded it down with a wet.

I made a little bigger mess than I expected, and applied duplicolor base coat, then a rustoleum clear coat. When it was done, it looked like I had spray painted my car. Not exactly what I was shooting for. I got some goo-off and have it all removed.

So I am investigating what my best option is, next.

I have ordered a can of Eastwood 2k clear coat, and have a few questions.

1) Will applying only the clear coat be sufficient? I don't seem to have damaged the paint itself. From what I have read, I will not be able to easily remove the 2k clear coat once it is applied.
2) when I apply the clear coat will I be able to then blend it into the rest of the car, can applying some elbow grease and rubbing compound? Is there a secret to this?
3) should I paint the entire section, or only the damaged area? This goes with the question above and trying to blend it all together.
4) will it work if I spray duplicolor as a base coat over the current paint job, then apply the Eastwood 2k clear coat? I would be very nervous to sand this down to the metal.

I am trying to figure out my options. There are tons of videos, just nothing specifically that answer what I need to do.

My biggest concern is blending it together.

Thanks in advance for your time and support.

Kpierce  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Guru | Posts: 1050 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 06/03/14
05:04 AM

"Can I apply clear coat after sanding original paint job with 2000 grit"

Sure, but 1,000 grit is the finest that should be used if you want it to stick.

"I got some spot putty and then sanded it down with a wet."

What does this mean? Did you apply putty? A wet what?

"I have ordered a can of Eastwood 2k clear coat, and have a few questions."

I have not used Eastwood 2K clear but have painted cars professionally.

"When it was done, it looked like I had spray painted my car. Not exactly what I was shooting for."

It will look like spray paint as long as you keep using aerosol products.

"1) Will applying only the clear coat be sufficient? I don't seem to have damaged the paint itself. From what I have read, I will not be able to easily remove the 2k clear coat once it is applied."

Sufficient for what? Maybe for short term appearance but not for long term protection.

"2) when I apply the clear coat will I be able to then blend it into the rest of the car, can applying some elbow grease and rubbing compound? Is there a secret to this?"

Yes there is a professional "secret" to this that involves using a spray gun, additional solvent, and professional polishing tools and products. Experienced painters struggle to produce even small blend outs. Spraying a spot here and there then expecting to polish it all and have it blend in is expecting WAY too much from a cheap fix.

"3) should I paint the entire section, or only the damaged area? This goes with the question above and trying to blend it all together.

Thats how pros do it. Color over the repair, clear over the entire panel. Blend out clear only where absolutely necessary because it will be visible to a trained eye.

"4) will it work if I spray duplicolor as a base coat over the current paint job, then apply the Eastwood 2k clear coat?"

Probably. Never mix paint brands if you can avoid it. Testing is the only way to discover if theres a conflict between the two materials.

"I would be very nervous to sand this down to the metal."

You have already made a several thousand dollar mistake (if the car is worth that much). Cut your losses and seek a professional now. Chances are that a good detailer could have fixed the existing paint. If you have sanded with 2000 grit and not harmed the finish as you stated, they may still be able to help you.  
idrivejunk

kpierce kpierce
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/14
08:15 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I have been able to get about 75% of the shine and luster back by using an orbital polisher and some turtle wax polishing compound. Is there anything I can do to get a little more shine and luster?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Kpierce  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Guru | Posts: 1050 | Joined: 12/09
10:28 AM

You mentioned "polishing compound". Polish is one thing, compound is another. Rubbing compound is more agressive than polish and is normally only used after sanding. Orbital machines are oriented more toward finish maintainence than repair. The pattern is less agressive than a rotary grinder / polisher like paint pros use. Not knowing exactly which product you have makes it tough to suggest a next step. I am unfamiliar with retail paint care products. What I use is a $40 DrillMaster polisher with cheap pads. One is wool, thats more agressive than foam and with that I use 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound. After that I switch to a foam pad with Meguiar's #82 Swirl Free Polish. So far that system has met all my needs.  
idrivejunk