1995 3.4l Camaro Ignition Problem

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

1995 3.4l Camaro Ignition Problem

emoffa emoffa
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 06/09/14
02:28 PM

I have a 1995 3.4 liter Camaro with an electrical problem.  I replaced the battery and have power to the radio, lights, heater/AC fan, etc, but do not have power to the starter motor, fuel injectors, or fuel pump.  I had a GM mechanic verify the key and ignition switch worked plus he checked all the fuses and relays.
Any ideas what's causing the problem?
Lew  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 121 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 06/09/14
07:15 PM

1995 models are equipped with VATS ,, vehicle anti theft system... that will turn off all your items listed..

turn the key on..  try to start the engine..  is the security light ON or Flashing

1995 models are OBD1.5... if you have some brands of OBD2 scan tools . they will actually read codes..

there is a way to get codes out of the 16 pin connector. but i have not been able to verify it..

ohm your key resistor.. find the vats harness. its under the dash.. ORANGE.. NOT YELLOW..  stick key in ignition.. ohm column side of vats . should match key resistance.

94Vatscamaroign Zps75ec5406  

emoffa emoffa
Posted: 06/10/14
08:05 AM

Thank you - I'll get right on it!  

emoffa emoffa
Posted: 06/10/14
08:06 AM

Thank you - I'll get right on it!  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 121 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 06/11/14
04:52 AM

in looking at your post.. you said you had a GM tech look at your ignition key and switch.. well.  hmm.. i still think you might have a vats issue..  see if the security light is flashing or is ON while the ignition is on... other than bulb check for the first five seconds of key on..  then the security system light should be on. to show that the security module is working..

you said. you have NO POWER To the injectors.. check the under hood fuse box fuses #9 and #10.. those are the power to the fuel injectors.. do you have power there when you turn the key on.. ?? yes or no??? to both sides of the fuse top when probed with a test light...  if you do GOOD..  if you don't look at the IGNITION SWITCH .. for needing replacement.

Underhood fuse block fuse #11 is the IGNITION POWER FUSE.. should have power KEY on and cranking..   powers the ignition module, coils, cam and crank sensors, and the transmission shift solenoids.

fuse #6 and #7 in the underhood fuse block  should have power all the time.. 6 is part of the fan control 7 is for the air pump..

check the underhood fuse block fuse #8... that is the PCM memory. that should have power all the time also

at the instrument panel fuse block..  check fuse #5 and fuse #9 both should be hot with the ignition key ON..   #5 is the PCM fuse.  #9 is for the gauges.. fuse 5 also supplies the pink wire to the fuel pump relay. but also the brake light switch.. do the brake lights work when you depress the brake pedal?????

so lets go over this one more time...

underhood fuse block..
power all the time. fuses #6, #7, #8

power with key ON and cranking..  fuses #9, #10, #11

on the instrument panel fuse block.. power KEY ON and cranking.
Fuse #5 and Fuse #9..

this will take you probably 10 minutes to check.. and you want to probe both ends of the top of the fuse..not just one end..

post what you find..  

Harry Smith Harry Smith
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/14
Posted: 09/12/14
09:15 PM

I am having a similar problem.  I have lights, but the security light is flashing and the engine does not crank.  I had a new key made but that did not work.  I then changed the key switch and although I did find the Vats white wires were broken I am still have a no crank issue.  My next thought was to use a Vats bypass module, but the Vats unit is behind the passenger side air bag and to get that out I need to remove the entire dash so I am hoping to avoid that.  Any help would be appreciated. The vehicle is a 1995 Camaro with the 3.8 L engine.  

Thanks  Harry  

Harry Smith Harry Smith
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/14
Posted: 09/12/14
09:16 PM

I am having a similar problem.  I have lights, but the security light is flashing and the engine does not crank.  I had a new key made but that did not work.  I then changed the key switch and although I did find the Vats white wires were broken I am still have a no crank issue.  My next thought was to use a Vats bypass module, but the Vats unit is behind the passenger side air bag and to get that out I need to remove the entire dash so I am hoping to avoid that.  Any help would be appreciated. The vehicle is a 1995 Camaro with the 3.8 L engine.  

Thanks  Harry