rebuilding an engine/ help with...

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

rebuilding an engine/ help with...

tubabubba26 tubabubba26
New User | Posts: 24 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 09/09/13
08:41 PM

ok so first off my friend came to check out my restored 76 mustang II and he listened and said that that loud (valve chatter) diesel sound was bad and that i may need a new oil pump since his theory was that the rocker arms weren't getting enough oil, i think it could be valve lash, what do you guys think? in other words the motor sounds like a diesel, what all could it be...

2nd if it is the oil pump i have to completely take the motor out of the car to get to it! so if that's the case i might as well buy a motor rebuild kit and put all new parts in... 1st how hard is it for someone to rebuild an engine? Im very! good at taking stuff apart and figuring stuff out and i have gotten this far already with restoring a car that has sat for 20 yrs and is almost road worthy and i have a torque wrench and a book with all the torque specs, 2nd if i should rebuild the motor i found some motor kits on ebay and if you guys think that is the way to go?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-REBUILD-KIT-1983-1986-Ford-171-2-8L-OHV-V6-/271120928287?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f20110e1f&vxp=mtr