Impala61 and camaro79

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Impala61 and camaro79

mi_ce mi_ce
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/14
Posted: 03/11/14
12:34 PM

Hi, please help I'm lost, I have a impala 61 four door 283, no rust and a berlineta 79 305 rusted floors body really good don't know about engine, here is my issue I  don't want a show car, I just want to preserve this two cars, I'm not a mechanic and I don't know where to start or if is worth it to spent time and money in this two I love them no matter that they are not ss, the impala has 4 drum brakes, should I replace them with disc or keep it like that any advice will be greatly appreciated so much, I don't want this cars to end n the junk yard, please help me with any advice.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 121 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 03/11/14
02:21 PM

there are several articles about disc brake swaps for impalas over in low rider.

here is one on slightly later impala..  yours is probably slightly different being a 61..

http://www.lowridermagazine.com/tech/1209_lrmp_rear_braking_with_cpp/

one on a front suspension upgrade..

http://www.lowridermagazine.com/tech/1211_lrmp_global_west_a_arms_upgrade/

there are more articles spread out in the many magazines on this site..

will the 79 rear end fit under the impala..  it might.. i would have to search the widths..

properly assembled drum brakes will work just fine..

the biggest issue is worn brake drum surfaces.. the drums wear and leave tapered surface for the brake shoes to attempt to grab..  this reduces braking forces applied..  same goes for worn disc brake rotors..

Wornbrakedrums Zps1038d8de

you can upload images to photobucket and paste links here..

or a video walk around that you post to youtube    and paste the link here..

this way we can see what you are dealing with. .  

OliverHevvy OliverHevvy
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 05/29/14
02:41 PM

If you don't want a show car, leave the Impala alone. Yes, disc brakes do work better, but properly set-up drums work okay if you are not a road racer. The key to good drum brake performance is to have the curve of the shoes carefully matched to the drums, and in general have them correctly assembled and adjusted. Google over at youtube, I bet there are videos that show you how. And while you will need a few tools, you won't need much of anything special, and what you do need, like brake spring pliers, are pretty affordable.

As for the Camaro, Eastwood sells POR, which is a sort of paintlike stuff that halts (but does not reverse) rust. Buy a can, and pull out your carpets and such, and coat the sheet metal so it doesn't get any worse. Later,w hen you have the money, you can find a body shop that can weld in new sheet metal, or buy a cheap 110V MIG welder and learnt o do it yourself.

Good luck!