Electric cooling fan help!

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Electric cooling fan help!

deuce4935 deuce4935
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/20/07
10:00 AM

I'm in the middle of completing my LT1 swap into my 78' Malibu, and I really need some advice on what electric fan size I can use that would be a good bolt on for my app with minimal mods required.  

n70va n70va
User | Posts: 56 | Joined: 11/07
02:15 PM

if you are using only an electric fan, go to summitracing.com. look for a dual fan, and measure your radiator. call some of the companys that make them, and see if they can help you. i had mine controlled by a $10 switch on the dash, and the power came from the 25 amp fuse that was labled "direction signal" on the fuse block. you might not want to go that route, so some mods might be required to have the fan intregated into the cooling system to work automatically. the companys that make the fans have people who can help you, so give them a call.  

RIVERRAT77 RIVERRAT77
User | Posts: 87 | Joined: 11/07
10:42 PM

hello. to be safe a small block v8 should have around 3000 cfm rated fan. if you run electric fans with no shroud, then you should cover as much of the radiator as you can. sometimes two smaller fans are better than one fan as you cover more area.  if the fan has a shroud then you should cover at least 75% of the radiator. dont go over-kill here with dual speed 4500+ cfm fans. their just not needed and cost way more. i run a 77 camaro with a very small radiator 420h.p. small block and am using the flex-a-lite x-treme 180 and a high flow 180 thermostat. no over heating, very quiet, and it cools very fast. its a shrouded fan with "everything" you need-thermostat, wirring,brackets,ect.. a word of hard learned wisdom--dont just wire the fan to a toggole switch, use a thermostat control and if this is going to see alot of street miles use brackets and not the cheap plastic fasteners that poke thru the fins of the radiator. after time these can waer into to cores and cause the radiator to leak. one more thing--watch out for no name companies cfm ratings. they always overrate, you will get what you pay for.  
THERE ARE 2 KINDS OF CHEAP PARTS..THOSE YOU SCORE FOR A CHEAP PRICE AND THOSE THAT ARE CHEAP MADE.

powerdreams powerdreams
10:53 PM

YEAH EJ...PAL its called a thermostat control.But I did'nt expect you to know that ,only kidding'!IF you go on long drives,its a good idea to keep your regular fan,belt and spanner in case yor thermo fans ever fail,and they can.  

rgile rgile
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/24/08
04:54 PM

are we talking about an lt1 w/no waterpump pulley  

qwikz_03 qwikz_03
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/11/08
04:23 PM

i need advice on how much cfm my nissan 93 nissan 300zx twin turbo electric fan will need? If anyone has an idea please let me know  

RIVERRAT77 RIVERRAT77
Posted: 05/14/08
02:55 PM

cfm is usally rated by how much power you have. Call one of the fan co. and ask them or call summit racing at 800-230-3030. When it comes to fan size use the cfm rating and not the physical size (like whatever inches by whater inches) and to big is better than to small.  
THERE ARE 2 KINDS OF CHEAP PARTS..THOSE YOU SCORE FOR A CHEAP PRICE AND THOSE THAT ARE CHEAP MADE.

sbcmontecarlo09 sbcmontecarlo09
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/02/09
08:40 PM

iron heads or aluminum? do you have an aluminum radiator?  

Delta Pag Delta Pag
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 02/10/14
02:54 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm an engineer at Delta PAG and we manufacture high performance cooling fans using cutting-edge brushless motor technology.  This fan will revolutionize automotive cooling fan industry. Its thin (2.70"), its powerful (2,800CFM), very efficient (only 16amps), and has superior functionality.  This is the best fan on the market. period.  Check it out at deltapag.com