injectors for a 1998 dodge 1500

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

injectors for a 1998 dodge 1500

james wills james wills
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/24/13
08:17 PM

I recently purchased a 98 dodge ram 1500. it has 49000 actual miles but it has been setting for 5+ years. the fuel pump is shot. should I change the injectors in the engine also? this truck has 260 hp. from the factory. will a chip give me actual hp. increase or do I need to rework the top of the engine. i want somewhere around 325-375 horsepower  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 86 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 11/24/13
09:16 PM

replace the in tank pump...   and the strainer but i think that comes as part of the pump assembly..

if thats a plastic tank.. one thing.. if thats a metal tank.. please find some super magnets and drop them into the tank away from the pump and sending unit..

even if its a plastic tank.. you can stick it to the metal bracket away from the float arm..  this will attract any sediment..

Before starting engine.. replace the fuel filter..

turn key.. .start the engine...

i would advise that when you put gasoline back in the cleaned out tank..

that you do 10 or 15 gallons or so.. and include a half bottle of barryman B12 chemtool #0116... this is a POUR type liquid..  that you need to use a transmission funnel to prevent spilling onto the paint...   this is NOT CARB DIP.. it will help clean the fuel system.. do not use a full bottle.. 10 to 20 gallons per HALF bottle..

please inspect the fuel tank retaining straps.. and the fuel tank filler neck.. they are both available in the aftermarket because of corrosion issues..  where the straps rust away..  and rust eats holes in the sides of the filler neck tubing..

the filler necks as far as i know.. do not include the rubber hose section to connect to the tank...

do a second treatment on the third tank of fuel..

you may also want to replace 2 relays in the underhood relay box...

the auto shut down relay.. also known as the EFI MAIN RELAY... but chrysler calls them the auto shut down relay...

and the fuel pump relay...

both of those can get corroded on the contact surfaces.. and drive you crazy...

the main relay comes on with the key  sends power to almost anything

the fuel pump relay is obvious..