help 2002 ford explorer....non motorhead needs help

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

help 2002 ford explorer....non motorhead needs help

ccdenver ccdenver
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 09/13/13
11:09 AM

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer.  When I turn the car seems to bind/grab.(think turning into a parking space or reversing out of the driveway)..I have taken to my shop a couple of times...they have checked the transmission and transfer case all working well. They cant find problem....anyone have this problem or have any ideas?  Thanks Confused  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 103 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 09/15/13
04:13 AM

i would want to examine the front axle U joints/CV joints out by the steering knuckle..

this is not the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front differential .. these are from the front differential to the wheel bearing assemblies.

when this happens.. does the ABS or the traction control light / lights on the dash board flash or come on...  

Toy_breaker Toy_breaker
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 09/29/13
04:12 PM

Your front auto hubs are probably engaged. Also check the vacuum lines going to the front hub assemblies. they are 11 years old and definitely brittle by now.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 301 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 09/30/13
12:50 PM

I agree with Toy_breaker, and Wayne712222

If the front tires are Cupped or Scalloped on the Outside tread the Hubs are locked up. The hubs will also make the front of your Explorer at very low speeds make it hop just as you said.
  If you have gone through deep water, or Four Wheeling, enough to cover the front Hubs, you may want to check your rear for water also. It doesn't take much to destroy the bearings or the rear gears. This is just something I thought I'd add not knowing what may have caused your problem.

Bob

"NO RICE BURNERS ALLOWED"