1975 Ford Mustang II (HELP PLZ!!)

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

1975 Ford Mustang II (HELP PLZ!!)

Stang409 Stang409
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/01/13
07:15 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first post as im new to this forum. but id like some help if anyone could help me out here. im purchasing a 1975 mustang II as a project car. and the car itself needs some body/interior work. ive been searching the internet for a website to get carparts such as, bumpers, spoilers, hoods, etc. but i cannot find any parts for that years make... so i wasnt sure if anyone had a website or catalog that they know sells those car parts, please let me know. Any help is appreciated. id like to make sure i can get the parts before buying this car for restoration.

and i also searched this site for any topics on it but had no results? im not sure if i can use other years car parts on this model? if someone can answer any of these questions id appreciate it!

Screenshot2013 07 31At113256pm Zps58114c8d  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 103 | Joined: 03/13
08:03 PM

welcome to the forums.. mustang II parts... not that easy as most of them became donors for their front suspension and rack and pinions..

there are also 4 mustang and ford magazine sites here ..along with hot rod and popular hot rodding.. there are a bunch of mustang II articles and features scattered around..

as for interchanges.. it depends on which parts.. sheetmetal and body is mostly mustang II from 73 to 78..  other parts are shared with pinto and mercury bobcats..

some V6 and V8 models came with 8 inch rear ends..

2.3L motors have been replaced by turbo coupe 2.3L turbo motors..

everything has been replaced by 5.0 motors.. but with warnings.. the offset motor mounts are almost impossible to find.. and the MII used reduced size flex plates and flywheels along with reduced size bell housings to clear the firewall floor pan  those can be had also.. with some searching..  

08:07 PM

perhaps this will help.

note the different magazines here they are in.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/sch/02/mustang-ii/articles/?searchSource=Group

oh.. and start taking photos.  you can upload them to sites like photobucket so we can all follow along. you can also post images from there when you have a question or need help.

digital photography is usually cheep. you can even use an old cell phone with a memory card.. pulling the memory card to place in a card to usb adaptor to drag to your computer..  

Stang409 Stang409
08:37 PM

wow, thanks for all that info, its much appreciated. I probably should have explored the site more before waiving my white flag lol but i figured it would take some hard research to find these parts...

Im mostly really looking for front/rear bumpers, those have been tough to find. it seems like youre very knowledgable on mustangs, thats awesome. if you have ever restored/worked on a older model stang and have any tips thatd be also much appreciated, but the info you have already gaven will help me out a lot.

thanks again.  

Stang409 Stang409
08:44 PM

Icon Quotewaynep712222:
perhaps this will help.

note the different magazines here they are in.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/sch/02/mustang-ii/articles/?searchSource=Group

oh.. and start taking photos.  you can upload them to sites like photobucket so we can all follow along. you can also post images from there when you have a question or need help.

digital photography is usually cheep. you can even use an old cell phone with a memory card.. pulling the memory card to place in a card to usb adaptor to drag to your computer..

i just edited the post and added a photo from photobucket... for me it shows a question mark...does the pic show for you?  

Stang409 Stang409
08:45 PM

Icon Quotewaynep712222:
welcome to the forums.. mustang II parts... not that easy as most of them became donors for their front suspension and rack and pinions..

there are also 4 mustang and ford magazine sites here ..along with hot rod and popular hot rodding.. there are a bunch of mustang II articles and features scattered around..

as for interchanges.. it depends on which parts.. sheetmetal and body is mostly mustang II from 73 to 78..  other parts are shared with pinto and mercury bobcats..

some V6 and V8 models came with 8 inch rear ends..

2.3L motors have been replaced by turbo coupe 2.3L turbo motors..

everything has been replaced by 5.0 motors.. but with warnings.. the offset motor mounts are almost impossible to find.. and the MII used reduced size flex plates and flywheels along with reduced size bell housings to clear the firewall floor pan  those can be had also.. with some searching..

wow, thanks for all that info, its much appreciated. I probably should have explored the site more before waiving my white flag lol but i figured it would take some hard research to find these parts...

Im mostly really looking for front/rear bumpers, those have been tough to find. it seems like youre very knowledgable on mustangs, thats awesome. if you have ever restored/worked on a older model stang and have any tips thatd be also much appreciated, but the info you have already gaven will help me out a lot.

thanks again.  

Posted: 08/02/13
12:33 AM

all i can say is keep looking.. scouting out mustangs on craigs list   scouting out mustangs in wrecking yards..

are your bumpers cracked and missing parts??  

i seem to recall bumper fillers that extend the body to close in the bumper.. those were NOT part of the bumper..

i have worked on a LOT of cars over the past 3 decades... including my share of mustang II's

my former girl friend had a 73 pinto wagon.. 2.0.. then picked up a 78 MII notch back with a 2.8 V6 and a sun roof.. i ended up with a 74 fast back 2.3 stick manual transmission model.. i wanted to drive that.. but i borrowed the distributor for another customers car who had a duraspark ignition and i could for the life of me get that thing to work.. so i dropped a point type distributor in it and ask for it back when he got it fixed..  that took several months and two trips back.. he took his car to a dealership.. this was in the late 80s.. they replaced 800 bucks worth of stuff on that mustang.. but did not fix the ignition system which is what the  car was in for..  man were they mad when i made them refund the parts and labor on all the stuff that was NOT approved on the repair order..  i learned a LOT about duraspark ignitions on that one.. but digital volt meters were just coming out at that time and they were not cheep.. the tune up meters i had could not perform the same tests i can run with a 20 buck meter now..

like i said.. MII after market parts are far between.. not saying they are not out there..  you might also contact or drive past some bumper shops.. see if they can do repair jobs on it..  depending on whats bad.. other than the color..

if you can fix the bumper cover and make it smooth..  as a last resort.. you could spray it with mold release... and cover it with strips of fiberglass to make a mold off it.. that could be done right at home..

adding multiple layers and extending it out.. will allow you to carefully pull it off... and either finish the inside of the mold to make it perfect.. and create fiberglass bumpers.. or find a plastic vacuum forming shop.. have them create you new vacuformed bumper covers...  right out of your mold..

in fact.. you could even pour some kind of plastic into the mold to make a plastic cover.. so many ways to go..

there are lots of materials to fix the thermoplastic bumper covers that are probably on your car...

if they are crushed.. rusted .. dented.. ?????  replacements..

be sure to talk to the automotive paint factory rep before painting these slightly flexible bumpers.. depending on the type of paint you are planning on using. there may be a flexible additive just for the bumper primer and finish coats..

i will look around via google over the next few days... see if i can spot anything..

what part of the world do you live in... i am in the los angeles area..  

still-kick-en still-kick-en
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 03/12/14
02:04 AM

Good Luck with your project!
Parts can be hard to find, but there are some possibilities. Speedway motors has many parts and break conversions and coil overs for the front ends, watch ebay. Mustangs unlimited has some items. SSC has carpet headliners and some other items http://www.sscenterprises.net/4images/details.php?image_id=22.    
Fiberglass Specialties, Inc.http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesnv.com/catalog/Side_Scoops/ has side scoops.

Scott Hotrods in Ohio has fiberglass bumpers to match the original and custom items  http://www.scottrodscustom.com/mustangii.html I have not contacted them yet, but the website is still up.

Put an add on Craig's list, I did and scored a truck load of parts a guy had stored for years for a project that never was completed.

be innovative, I went to 5 lug hubs from Speedway and redrilled the rear axels. then I used O'Rielys website and found some Ranger brake drums that have the same dimensions as the II but with 5 lug, I think they are from a mid 80's model. Cool  

still-kick-en still-kick-en
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 03/12/14
02:05 AM

Good Luck with your project!
Parts can be hard to find, but there are some possibilities. Speedway motors has many parts and break conversions and coil overs for the front ends, watch ebay. Mustangs unlimited has some items. SSC has carpet headliners and some other items http://www.sscenterprises.net/4images/details.php?image_id=22.    
Fiberglass Specialties, Inc.http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesnv.com/catalog/Side_Scoops/ has side scoops.

Scott Hotrods in Ohio has fiberglass bumpers to match the original and custom items  http://www.scottrodscustom.com/mustangii.html I have not contacted them yet, but the website is still up.

Put an add on Craig's list, I did and scored a truck load of parts a guy had stored for years for a project that never was completed.

be innovative, I went to 5 lug hubs from Speedway and redrilled the rear axels. then I used O'Rielys website and found some Ranger brake drums that have the same dimensions as the II but with 5 lug, I think they are from a mid 80's model. Cool  

torinoluvr torinoluvr
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 03/05
Posted: 04/11/14
10:59 AM

I had a 1976 Cobra II with a 302. As far as I know parts from 1974-1978 are interchangeable. Ofcourse some rear parts from a hatchback(Fastback), won't fit a notchback.  
 I had a 1976 Black and Gold Cobra II. It had a 1969 302, beefed up with an Offenhouser aluminum 4 barrel intake, Holly 600 vac sec carb, and a Crane cam.
I own a 1973 Ford Gran Torino Sport, 302/auto, yellow with gold reflector stripe.

Owned a 1967 Camaro RS 327/auto, gold with black roof.
Own 2 1956 Chevys 2 door Bel Air Sport Coupe, and Sedan Delivery.

torinoluvr torinoluvr
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 03/05
Posted: 04/11/14
10:59 AM

I had a 1976 Cobra II with a 302. As far as I know parts from 1974-1978 are interchangeable. Ofcourse some rear parts from a hatchback(Fastback), won't fit a notchback.  
 I had a 1976 Black and Gold Cobra II. It had a 1969 302, beefed up with an Offenhouser aluminum 4 barrel intake, Holly 600 vac sec carb, and a Crane cam.
I own a 1973 Ford Gran Torino Sport, 302/auto, yellow with gold reflector stripe.

Owned a 1967 Camaro RS 327/auto, gold with black roof.
Own 2 1956 Chevys 2 door Bel Air Sport Coupe, and Sedan Delivery.