BF Goodrich radial ta

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

BF Goodrich radial ta

396slowvelle 396slowvelle
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 07/23/13
10:51 PM

I've got a bigblock chevelle with moroso drag race springs and 90/10 shocks.  It's transfers weight real good on the street.  What would be the best way to get these tires to hook up. I would prefer to run these tires because I want to see what it runs on 100% street trim.  How safe is it to lower the air pressure.  How low should I go. I know from experience that a small burnout will hook better than a large burnout.  Any other ideas on how to get them to hook better.  

68scott385 68scott385
Enthusiast | Posts: 669 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 07/24/13
06:44 AM

You could lower the air pressure just for the time you are racing to 15-20psi, you'll have to try different pressures to see what works best. I wouldn't drive it on the street without being fully aired to the manufacturers suggest psi. You could try a wider tire when it's time for new ones. You could also try drag radials. I know at least one guy using drag radials and like them very much.

Those are soft compound tires and in my experience they are very good for handling and cornering but lack traction control even with a pure stock drivetrain.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

396slowvelle 396slowvelle
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 05/13
07:23 AM

I'm running a 275/60-15. Which is the biggest tire I can fit on this car and it still rubs the inner fender well sometimes. These tires hooked the small block real easy but the big block does nothing but spin. I'm taking to the track in a few weeks to see what she will do I just what to run 100% street trim cuz I can't go home and put on slicks if I want to do some stop light drag racing.  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Enthusiast | Posts: 388 | Joined: 04/10
12:10 PM

my camaro used to do nothing but spin.    i put on some mickey thompson drag radials and it made a big difference.    i wouldnt recommend driving with them in the rain though.   ive done it a few times and the car felt unstable, kinda nervous.
   you could try adding some ballast weight in the back for traction too.