would you change this timing belt

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

would you change this timing belt

396slowvelle 396slowvelle
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 07/11/13
06:25 PM

I bought this car at 96000 miles. It is now at 115000. Timing belt is supposed to be changed at 100000.  I checked it today and it has a gates belt on it so it has been changed before.  The overall belt looks ok. It's new enough for me to read gates powergrip and the numbers but the front edge of the belt looks like its been rubbing on something. I'm pretty sure its running on the intake cam pulley. So the front edge its slightly frayed and has very small chunks gone. But the cogg side of the belt looks fine   I'd post a photo if I could figure out how.  

68scott385 68scott385
Enthusiast | Posts: 669 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 07/12/13
07:55 AM

To post photos you have to use a host site like PhotoBucket or others whose name evades me at the moment. Upload the pics to that site then use the "IMG code" to post them here.

And yes, I think I would replace that belt and know exactly how many miles it had on it and maybe you can true its tracking so it doesn't eat itself. IDK about your particular motor but there are engines that bend valves when the timing belt breaks. In those situations a few bucks and a few hours work could have saved a thousand dollar repair bill from having to pull the head and have a valve job done.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

396slowvelle 396slowvelle
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 07/13/13
10:42 AM

Thanks.  Everyone I asked said that on this particular engine when the timing belt breaks it grenades the engine not just bends the valves. So I think I'm gonna change it.