Ad Radar
Car Craft
Click here to find out more!

1968 ve regal power steering conversion.

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

1968 ve regal power steering conversion.

dragr33 dragr33
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 02/25/13
11:03 PM

Anyone know anything about power steering boxes!

I got a seconhand power steering box that i was told was out of a 74 model chrysler by chrysler, i think vj. For what i can find on net in pictures the early types look all the same. I took old manual box out of my ve reagal and fitted the power steering box. I know i have to replace steering column shaft or whole column to a power steering column as the maual column is longer aswel the coupling splines are different.

I had to cut the inner guard so the housing for the hydraulic hoses on power steering box could fit.

Is This the wrong power steering box i used or is there different housings for hoses or does a power steering car have a different inner guard shape??  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 301 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 02/26/13
06:22 AM

If you are replacing the steering column. Use all the parts that go with it.

If your purchasing the column get the steering box hoses and atleast the P/S pump.
I know that Chrysler did use different boxes for a truck and a car. The ratios were different, 16 to 1 versus 22 to 1 and so on.

The junk yard should be able to tell you what goes with what.
If your doing a restoration get everything from the same manufacturer.
I don't know if this helped you....

Bob   Aka-pepsi1  

crazyyy2586 crazyyy2586
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/11/13
12:07 AM

I was able to install the hydraulic steering the other day , pretty simple install the only difficult part was enlarging the helm opening and having drill new mounting holes. the whole setup is really nice,it eliminates all slack in the steering and makes it very similar to a cars steering. I am able to easily turn the wheel without the engines running which was very difficult with the rack cable system previously. The seastar cylinder mounts right on top of the factory power steering rack and is a very clean setup. What a difference, highly recommend this. I will be posting pictures as soon i have some.
------------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS