March '13 Rear View

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

March '13 Rear View

abdywgn abdywgn
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 12/31/12
07:08 PM

Mr.Glad is leading us astray by suggesting that the engine in the Mustang funny car "looks like a 385-series big-block making it likely a 429". How about an FE series and more likely a 427 SOHC?  

FEs_Forever FEs_Forever
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/01/13
02:14 PM

That is definitely a 427 SOHC, king of FE engines.  I'm surprised Douglas didn't recognize that one, since he has seen one of those engines installed in my '64 Galaxie at the CC Summer Nats a couple of times.  Jack Chrisman was using those engines all the way back to '65, in his blown fuel funny cars.  But in 1969 it was Mickey Thompson, also running a cammer powered '69 Mustang, who won the first NHRA Funny Car title.  
FEs_Forever

ratattack ratattack
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/02/13
07:43 PM

Jeez guys, "Remain silent and be thought a fool, open your mouth and remove all doubt." If  you  don't know what motor it is and can't be bothered to read the valve covers don't guess! This is worse than the November Rear view describing a pair of Bowers magnesium blowers as 4-71's! Makes me wonder about all the other info in the mag...lol...seriously, it appears you need a old fart on the staff to keep your history in line
Tom