Car Craft
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Single four barrel tunnel ram

vega4 vega4
User | Posts: 154 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 11/19/12
05:10 PM

How's it going guys?  Has anybody ever swapped a dual plane intake for a single four barrel tunnel ram?  And was it worth it?  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Enthusiast | Posts: 388 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 11/20/12
04:15 AM

i havent seen a single 4 barrel tunnel ram in years.    one of my buddies had one on his 69 camaro back in high school, on a 327.    he seemed to like it and that car was wicked fast.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 301 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 11/20/12
05:41 PM

Vega4

We did some dyno research for our own info.

Track all the time

Street all the time

Let us know what you are going to use the engine for. I'm sure someone will have suggestions.

Bob  

vega4 vega4
Posted: 11/23/12
03:55 PM

It's for a souped 383 Chev with Edelbrock heads and a big cam.  I'm running 4.11 gears and a 3000 stall 10 inch convertor.  I just drive it around town on weekends and lay the odd blacky.  

Posted: 11/24/12
07:21 AM

a single 4 barrel, tunnel ram looks impressive, but im not sure how much more performance you would get compared to a victor jr. single plane?   plus you can add carb spacers to the vic jr. to dial it in.   the tunnel ram may require cutting your hood & linkage mods?  

vega4 vega4
Posted: 11/24/12
02:07 PM

I never thought of that.  Thats probably a way better idea.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 11/25/12
12:55 AM

Joe's absolutly correct.
   I was under the impression you had this set-up. I would scrape the idea of a single 4bbl on a tunnel ram. You will be tuning that everytime you take it out.
You want a car you can enjoy. Your not fooling with it all the time.
  I don't know if a single plane intake is the way to go. A dual plane is what you want for the street. There are very good dual plane intake manifolds to choose from. A single plane intake is really for an all out race engine. An engine that will spend it's life above 7000 RPM. The single plane intake is for a High RPM engine that doesn't have a sweet spot.
  Send the specs for what you car and engine, maybe we can help you get pointed in the right direction...

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
12:55 AM

Joe's absolutly correct.
   I was under the impression you had this set-up. I would scrape the idea of a single 4bbl on a tunnel ram. You will be tuning that everytime you take it out.
You want a car you can enjoy. Your not fooling with it all the time.
  I don't know if a single plane intake is the way to go. A dual plane is what you want for the street. There are very good dual plane intake manifolds to choose from. A single plane intake is really for an all out race engine. An engine that will spend it's life above 7000 RPM. The single plane intake is for a High RPM engine that doesn't have a sweet spot.
  Send the specs for what you car and engine, maybe we can help you get pointed in the right direction...

Bob  

08:47 AM

the edelbrock rpm air-gap intake would be my choice for the street.   gasket match the intake & heads for better flow.
i bought a 1 inch carb spacer for my motor to acommidate the 50cc accelerater pump on my carb.   but it came with 2 different inner pieces.   one is open, for upper RPMs.   the other inner piece is 4-hole, for low-mid RPM power.   its cool that its tuneable.    you can get a dual-plane to act like a single-plane, & visa-versa.   i bought it at the local parts store.   spectra, part number 5764.

heres a link to look at it.
http://www.spectreperformance.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=5764

if you go with the open spacer, id use different gaskets made for a singleplane. JMO.  

vega4 vega4
Posted: 12/09/12
06:04 PM

To be honest I was drinking beer and chating with a buddy and subject of intakes.  And I've got a thing for intakes, I'm worst than a woman and shoes! So we got on to subject of tunnel rams and so I got thinking about it.  And since I could afford it and always wanted one, I decided to get one.  But the next night when I wasn't drinking beer, I thought I'd ask and just see what you guys thought about it. I'm running a Summit air gap now, instead of my old torker.  And the different is like night and day.  It's got no desire to start now in our cold Ontario winters,and I've got talked myself out of it for now.  But a big tunnel sticking out of my hood into a big ugly scoop would be so cool!  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 12/09/12
11:08 PM

Vega4
  When your ready to drink some more beer. Were you drinking that 3X or 4X beer when you were thinking about the tunnel ram 4BBL? That stuff will make a man cry....LOL...I live in Mass. we get cold weather too. Not like you though! My freind use to run at Sanair and he would come down with it. 3Xor4X I feel asleep leaning against my trailer, and they left me there...LOL...

All kidding aside they do make a Scoop that sticks through the hood that you don't need the tunnel ram for. But if you really want to do it you will lose some drivability. Because you will loose some low end torque. If you want go to Speedway Motors and order a catalog, and see if they have a scoop as I mentioned.
You have a Good safe Christmas and be carefull on Boxing Day...LOL... Cool

Bob  

Posted: 12/10/12
06:11 AM

definetly look cool!  Cool  

vega4 vega4
03:42 PM

Thanks for the input, but I've talked myself out of it for now anyway.  I was just asking about a single four barrel tunnel ram because I bought 800avs and it wasn't cheap.  As far as the scoop goes, I kinda think that if I'm going to put one on my car there should be a reason for it.  Or it's kinda like how the ricers stick wings on and stuff.  I was drinking u-brew and I've wanted a tunnel ram since I was like 10, they used to get Hotrod magizine in our libary when I was in public school back in the early 80's.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
11:04 PM

Man I have shorts older then you...LOL...You can buy a tunnel ram, with a single carb top hat. Grin  Cool

Bob  

ethelkilledfred-#001 ethelkilledfred-#001
Enthusiast | Posts: 562 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 12/25/12
12:01 AM

Icon Quotevega4:
How's it going guys?  Has anybody ever swapped a dual plane intake for a single four barrel tunnel ram?  And was it worth it?

Yes well worth it. Stock single carb tops don't work right, you have to make a top that raises the carb for even distribution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0majOBlf4k0&feature=youtube_gdata_player  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last