Car Craft
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

So Were not rich but we arent stupid

Godspeeds777 Godspeeds777
User | Posts: 100 | Joined: 09/03
Posted: 09/30/03
06:36 PM

Why cant car craft do power adder articles. Turbos can be bought for little money and can be found in junk yards . This is two issues in one first on educating readers on turbos second on locating turbos and even a third a assembly of a turbo kit or setting one up.

Why cant Car craft do a Turbo read?

Ive seen turbo kits put together for less than 3 dollars before usen stock headers. Espicaly on your 3.4 liter camaros where there are no mods out there sold for this car. (note this engine is a SFI same as the old school buick grand nationals). Take your headers flip them around weld some pipes together easily done at any local exhaust/muffler shop .

Also note that OMNI, DAYTONA , SVO , Duster, laberaon, T BIRDS,mercury ETC ETC. HAVE HAD TURBOS ON THERE VEHICLES AT SOME POINT.

There are a very larger mass variety of cars out there in junk yards with turbos but again you have to know how to locate and what your looken for.

Ok a 3.4 liter camaro can be bought for less than no money today less than 3 thousand dollars in most cases. Turbos and exhaust upgrade another 2 grand at most and you goin 12s to 13s depending on how much boost. These engines dont need Forged this and that your maken less than 400 hp and stock engine as in you pass articles more than well back this up.

100thousand miles its not time to rebuild but time to put power adders on the car . Maybe minor things like bottom end rebuild and ignition upgrades assuming compression is still good.

Before doing this article put Trans cooler on your autmatic transmission.

Article possible names would be POOR MANS TURBO KIT

irieeyess irieeyess
User | Posts: 126 | Joined: 09/03
Posted: 09/30/03
10:52 PM

Actually thought it was a good idea but maybe for the Hot Rod crew.

CarCraft is about "Using your brain, not your wallet".

You probably can make more power with a bigger NA motor that cost less than a turbo motor a lot easier that will fit into a wider range of cars.

Dodge and Ford turbo cars maybe for Hot Rod.

Go complain to Hot Rod since they don't even know how to build up a Honda (and if a 4-banger, why a Honda) but rather just ask Stupid Street to do it for them...

460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC 460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC
Guru | Posts: 1171 | Joined: 10/03
Posted: 10/01/03
05:42 PM

The JY (Junkyard) turbo people might disagree!

I'm thinking a couple of junkyard Powerstroke turbos, blowing through an old Powerstroke intercooler into a double pumper on a Super Cobra Jet-head 460 would be mad cheap and make sick power.

Of course if Camaro Craft does it, they will probably cobble up a couple of T-3s on a "smokin'" 305 SBC or something.

--------------------------------
460_BBF_Turbo-in-CC (formerly Dr511scj) "This guy has no life other than posting endlessly on carcraft.com." -- Car Craft, July 2005
-------
October 1, 2003: " I'm thinking a couple of...turbos, blowing through an old Powerstroke intercooler...on a Super Cobra Jet-head 460 would be mad cheap and make sick power."
-------
"I have no problem with your...talking to several versions of yourself...or pointing out our failure to do a turbo story ...." --Douglas "CC/Rambler" Glad

irieeyess irieeyess
Posted: 10/02/03
02:04 AM

Like a blow-though carb setup?

Kinda tough...

Posted: 10/02/03
06:49 AM

Lots of JY turbo people do it.   Blowing through the carb has been going on since the days Granatelli ran Paxtons on Studebakers.  Fuel enrichment under boost is the only real challenge, but there are plenty of proven low-buck ways to accomplish that.

Come on Camaro Craft, JUST DO IT!

460_BBF_Turbo-in-CC (formerly Dr511scj) "This guy has no life other than posting endlessly on carcraft.com." -- Car Craft, July 2005
-------
October 1, 2003: " I'm thinking a couple of...turbos, blowing through an old Powerstroke intercooler...on a Super Cobra Jet-head 460 would be mad cheap and make sick power."
-------
"I have no problem with your...talking to several versions of yourself...or pointing out our failure to do a turbo story ...." --Douglas "CC/Rambler" Glad

irieeyess irieeyess
Posted: 10/06/03
01:35 AM

I'm aware of those blow-through, but I think they really really thought those out.  I'm guessing you could use a Vortech FMU (increases fuel pressure as boost increases)

Would be neat to have a 2.3 Ford turbo in a Fox-body Mustang buildup like Joe Morgan's Pinto. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/2641/poison.html

Lots of cheap stock Ford parts can support a lot of that power.

Edited 10/6/2003 4:37:57 AM ET by irieeyess  

04:20 PM

Well the 4.9 liter Turbo 79 trans am wasnt a big go and I think Car craft rated it one of the worse engines ever built.

But with More knolodge on turbos and carbs today we know where we went wrong and now who knows what turbos limits are but still Blowers will always be superior why cuase we know that Blowers are postive and turbos are nonpostive displacment pumps.

NO NO why not do a Turbo inline six mustang or camaro something thats never been done by anyone.

Why cuase inline six put in camaros and mustang have tons of room and with the little things we know now it can be done next to know money and stock Header could be used with minor flange adapters.

I say a T3 or a T4 turbo or maybe a updated hybrid.

Honda sucks and people who read car craft wouldnt never want to see a honda build up and since the money makes the world turn your not going to see it.

Though I am all for girls on the cover of car craft to produce sales. I like car craft and if a guy buys it cuase of the girl on the cover so what all that insures is my magazine that i read will be here many more years down the road.

SuperBee426 SuperBee426
User | Posts: 128 | Joined: 09/03
04:49 PM

Well, the 4.9 T/A wasn't only bad because of what they new about turbos back then.  The 301 Pontiac is in general no better than a boat anchor with a few extra moving parts.

As far as the whole JY turbo thing goes, In my opinion N/A engines are 100x cooler than blower engines.  But either way, I agree it would be way cool to see an article on a turbo inline 6.  THose earlier 6 like the Mopar /6 take a hell ov a lot of power and law down a lot of torque for a 6 cylinder.

irieeyess irieeyess
08:09 PM

Like the slant-six?  Aren't those non-crossflow heads? 

skynyrdfan skynyrdfan
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/03
09:17 PM

why slant-six?  Old Chevy 292 or GMC 300 sixes are the way to go.  Bore em out and you got some cubes!  

Posted: 10/07/03
02:29 PM

"In my opinion N/A engines are 100x cooler than blower engines."

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion.

But I can't understand why someone ordering a crateful of parts out of the Summit catalog (i.e. Edelbrock intake, Holley carb, Hooker headers, AFR heads, Comp Cam . . .) is "100x cooler" than someone who scrapes together a JY intercooler, a couple of JY turbos,  fabricates their own turbo kit and then figures out how to tune it.   The Summit way involves a phat bankroll. The JY way involves actually engineering something beyond what Detroit gives us.

And don't get me started on GM's bogus turbo cars (301 Pontiac, Oldsmobile Jetfire, Chevolet Corvair, Sunfire Turbo).  Only the EFI, intercooled turbo Buick V-6 was adequately engineered (albeit saddled with horrendously poor cylinder heads and a tiny T-3 turbo)

I get tired of seeing scores of single-four-barrel SBCs with little more than different air cleaners and valve covers distinguising them.  Such boring sameness is part of what drives kids to rice.

-------
-------

joegekko joegekko
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 09/03
02:53 PM

Don't forget the Syclone and the Typhoon. They were plenty well engineered, aside from their less than ideal (for road use) air-to-liquid intercoolers.

I agree 100% with what you said about the 'Summit way'. C'mon, it's the 21st century. Forget your lopey eight-stroking cams and start doing something original with that old Detroit iron. Try to get those 9 and 10 second quarter-mile times in a car that's a pussycat around town.

Do something new, do something unique, do something that gets more than 12 miles per gallon, and do it on pump gas.

Sorry, guess I got a little carried away...

Joe Gekko. Larger than life, and twice as ugly.

http://207.198.64.129

02:55 PM

You're right. I forgot about the Typhoon/Syclone.  It's sad that the General killed them instead of improving them.  
-------
-------

SuperBee426 SuperBee426
User | Posts: 128 | Joined: 09/03
03:57 PM

Well what about people who get mad power out of N/A engines without spending much money either?  That happens plenty also.  But one of the main reasons for why I like N/A engines better is because all the know nothings think that the one and only way to make power is with boost.  Especially the ricers, someone asked me how much horsepower I have the other day, and when I told him he seriously asked me where the turbo is.  Some people have so much trouble comprehending that displacement makes power as well.  And I certainly can't pick up a Summit catalog and start ordering, either  Wink  The most expensive thing on my car (and it will be that way for a very loong time) is the Speed Demon carb.  Over the winter when it's time to get some more kick out of the motor, a new intake and cam may be purchased, the intake probably used, but the big thing will be early 340 heads that I'll port my self if I'm lucky enough to find some in a junkyard.  I think that 400 horsepower (easy goal) isn't bad for that little bit of money spent.  Well, untill the 200 shot comes into play  Smile

As for the car that's a pussycat around town and runs on pump gas...  There's pleeeeenty of big power cars running on 93 octane, that's easy. But, like I said in a different post, the whole sitting in traffic with the car wanting to die and shaking from the engine, making you smell like gasoline 24/7 is all part of the fun.  If I wanted a smooth ride I'd drive my grand marquis.  That also goes with why I like manual transmissions better, because with a manual trans a wild motor is much easier to run on the street.  But a big cammed, big displacement engine with a blower would be even better, obviously  Smile

Posted: 10/09/03
07:50 PM

WoW my ears a smoken from that comment.

First off the SFI injection systems is bad ass and is what all Current NHRA pro import drag six banger cars are running.

SFI wasnt produced by Buick the 300zx, 3000gt and many other import turbo six bangers would not exist today.

Second THE GNX AND THE 89TTA TRANS AM DID 13.5 STOCK TO HIGH 13S . AT A 280 HP RATEN AND 3800 POUND CARS GRAND NATIONALS WERE SEDANS

ITS 2003 YOUR CURRNT R34 SKYLINE ONLY DOES DUPLICATEN TIMES OF A 89TTA NOT EXCEEDING IT.

aLSO ITS 2003 AND YET HAVE YOU SEEN THE IMPORT DRAGS WITH A SIX BANGER INTO THE 7S WHICH AMERICAN GRAND NATIONAL DRAG RACERS SAW IN THE 80S BEFORE THERE WERE EVER A SUCH THING AS IMPORT DRAG RACEN.

GM MADE THE BADDEST TURBO CARS EVER CONCIEVED.

THE GMC SYCLONE PICK UP TRUCK TURNNING 13S YOUR 91 ISSUE OF MOTOTREND PUT THIS CAR UP AGAINST THE FERRARI MARCELLIO AND THE PICK UP TRUCK WON.

NOT ONLY THAT ITS 2003 AND THE GMC TYPHOON WITH LOW 14 TIMES IS STILL FASTER THAN THE CURRENT TWIN TURBO 400HP CAYANE AT ONLY A 14.9 SEC STOCK TIME.

GM HAS AND STILL HOLDS THE WORLDS FASTEST SEDAN SIX BANGER, SUV, AND SPORT COMPACT TRUCK WITH TURBOS.

YOUR INSAINE CUASE IF YOU EVER WENT TO TURBONETICS ALL THE TURBOS DESIGNES ARE BASED OFF OF GM TURBOS NOT IMPORT TURBOS

ALSO NOTE THE MOVIE WRAITH IN 87 IS THE ORGINALE 2 LITER RACEN BLOWN V8 MOVIE . ITS 2003 AND YOU STILL SEE THE SAME THING ON THE BIG SCREEN MAN HOW TIMES HAVE NOT CHANGED.

oh the 2 liter was the daytona turbo and if you didnt know the first eclipse and talons were based on the omni and daytona chassis not only that CHRYSLER BOUGHT OUT MITSUBITCHE IN THE EARLY 90S so thats why sport compact imports exist at all today.

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last