Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Road Bee???

RaysnCayne RaysnCayne
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 09/29/12
04:19 PM

Hey guys,

Help me understand why the "Road Bee" is so special as to deserve a cover and a feature article in the latest CC? I normally LOVE everything Steve Strope does, but this car leaves me scratchin' my head.   Confused

He usually comes up with a concept for a build and then does everything possible to hold true to the concept throughout the entire car. This one seems to fall short of that. The concept was two-fold, marry the doghouse of one car seamlessly to another. Check +! Then re-create the look of an 80-90s street machine. Half-check. I feel he came up short on staying true to the 80s street machine theme. He definitely scores major retro points with the Auto-Drags (where does one find 16x9.5s anyway?!?), but why aren't they wrapped in period-correct white-letter BFGs?

Every time I get a chance to lay my eyes on a new Steve Strope build, I race to the engine bay pics, fully expecting to be wowed by yet another clean and creative compartment. But this bay doesn't look much better than the average Joe's. If "80s Street Machine" was the theme, there's so flourishes absent (Moroso wires/cap, anodized valve covers, etc.) But if the goal was just straight-up clean Pure Vision-ism, then even that falls short. There's the trademark coolant overflow hard line (always love that), but there's so much mixing of disparate parts, I can't figure what happened here. The Moroso stuff is there, but so is a billet accesory drive, black anodized fittings and that God-awful battery front and center!

What am I missing? Yes, it's an amazing street machine in it's own right. But I feel this is the first time Steve didn't hold true to a pure vision for this one.  
68 Biscayne
13.17 at 104mph

70elcaminoss 70elcaminoss
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/05/12
11:32 AM

A Car Craft feature car never pissed me off before. A '70 Road Runner's front and rear match each other nicely. A Coronet's front and rear also match each other. Just because parts bolt together doesn't mean they "match". A full Road Runner or Coronet would have been much nicer. A hundred hours of panel alignment??? Look at the photos! This is not what a high dollar car should look like. Pure Vision doesn't even have 20/20 vision. CC needs to get off of Pure Vision's payroll. The door isn't even latched properly in the lead photo.  

Ron1973 Ron1973
Enthusiast | Posts: 629 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 10/16/12
08:38 PM

I didn't really care for that deal myself!  

vega4 vega4
User | Posts: 154 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 10/17/12
06:44 PM

I with you guys.  I'd rather see the Biscayne.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 301 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 10/18/12
10:32 AM

Icon QuoteRon1973:
I didn't really care for that deal myself!

Ron:

I haven't seen you post on the other Forums. When did you finish your car?
Nice to see you back.... Grin  Cool

Bob  

subman670 subman670
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/25/12
06:54 AM

It is interesting that Strope discovered the Dodge nose fit the Road Runner. I was 14 years old when the Plymouth Superbirds were at the dealerships. The Dodge Daytonas and the Superbirds were not good sellers. Some dealers had them on their lots for more than a year. I heard a rumor that some dealers installed the Dodge Coronet/Super Bee nose on the Superbird to sell it.