Car Craft
Click here to find out more!

standard transmission for 86 Ford Ranger?

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

standard transmission for 86 Ford Ranger?

chevynut7 chevynut7
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 09/01/12
07:29 PM

I have an 86 ford ranger with the a4ld transmission and would like to put in a standard. Its just going to be for back and forth to work. Easy on gas. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 155 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 09/01/12
11:00 PM

but which motor..

did you ever see the tech section over at therangerstation dot com

there are so many ways to ***

are you having issues with the A4LD overdrive transmission with a lock up converter now???  i know that those are usually weak transmissions..  that won't take a whole lot of abuse.. without mods...

before you do any swapping.   why not run a KOEO and KOER self test...  

* Available engines
         o 4 Cylinders A 2.3L FI (found in 79% of 1986 Ford Ranger 2WD)
         o 4 Cylinders C 2.0L 1BL (found in 20% of 1986 Ford Ranger 2WD)
         o 4 Cylinders E 2.3L Turbo Diesel (found in 01% of 1986 Ford Ranger 2WD)
         o 6 Cylinders T 2.9L FI

if you have failed a start up self test.. the computer backs off the fuel economy. to save the motor....

code readers are about 32 bucks from actron at most parts stores for the EEC4 fuel injection..   if you have the 2.0 1 bbl. that might have an MCU system..  but i have info on those also...

there are a dozen truck magazines on this site also..  

chevynut7 chevynut7
Posted: 09/13/12
08:14 PM

Have the 2.3 FI The issue that I am having is after it warms up,you have to let off the gas to get it to shift to 2nd. The guy I goe the truck from said he changed the vacuum modual. The othe problem is it keeps shifting in and out of overdrive.Any more ideas would be great. Will have to get a scanner and see what pops up. Thanks fot the reply.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
09:00 PM

first off...  fluid level check... engine running in park....

smell the fluid on the dip stick...  wipe it with a white tissue.. is it red or brown...

i am going to recommend that you do a transmission service soon... if not right now..

where you drain the transmission by loosening the pan.. let the fluid out..  drop the pan..  drop the filter.. install the new transmission filter..  read the sediment in the bottom of the pan.. a little dark fiber is ok...  a few brass flakes are OK..   anything more than a few brass flakes is bad.. be sure to use a magnet.. if you get steel fragments.. you have issues.. put 3 quarts back in.. start the engine and instantly start adding another quart.. so the total is 4...  check the fluid level.. keep adding 1/2 quart at a time till its at the full mark...  this is probably a 6 quart transmission service job..

you might want to check the Throttle valve cable connection at the throttle body... its the cable that goes down to the transmission..

throttle valve cable adjustments are critical on fords..  its usually done in transmission shops with a pressure gauge on a long hose screwed into the side of the case..

let me see if i can get some good instructions on adjusting the TV cable..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
09:04 PM

you will want to read this....

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/A4LD_manual.pdf

there are complete instructions and trouble shooting there..  

chevynut7 chevynut7
Posted: 09/14/12
02:19 PM

Thanks for the information. Will be changing fluid and filter this week-end. I added the link to favorites so will read thru it also. Thanks again.