What to re-cover blend doors with?

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

What to re-cover blend doors with?

lambertjohn lambertjohn
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/07/12
12:53 PM

I'm in the process of restoring a 96 Volkswagen GTI, and as such, I removed the dash to get at the heater core/evap core for replacement. As I was in there, I noticed that the foam covering the blend doors was totally shot...missing, ripped, old and turning to dust. I've taken the blend doors out and cleaned them down to to bare aluminum. Now all I need to do is re-cover them and I'm good to go. But...what do I recover them with? Has anybody out there performed this type of repair before? And if so, what did you use to re-cover your blend doors? Foam? HVAC tape? Something else? My biggest concern is longevity. Whatever I re-cover my blend doors with, I want it to last. Pulling the dash/heater core out of a Volkswagen, is a task best done only once during a vehicles restoration. I sure don't want to do this again. Thanks for the help!!  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Guru | Posts: 1050 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 09/07/12
03:36 PM

This is camper seal tape, found at Home Depot and other places. You might shop around and see if there are different brands available in case one would work better than the other. Sticky on one side, dense foam on the other.

910D45f2 9Bed 40Af 8002 Bcd0ffc49b20 400

E3424a30 Bc81 4E36 A6e4 2A227dcb623f 300  
idrivejunk