rebuild or swap?

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

rebuild or swap?

eTag eTag
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 07/01/12
10:52 PM

OK so my brother in law is mechanically challenged and has a `86 cavalier...he's debating with me whether to swap a 350 into it or to just rebuild focusing on the hp...

so what do you guys think?

he also has to replace the tranny and wants to switch to a stick...  
---Spencer---

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 155 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 07/02/12
07:03 AM

why not go all the way....   agree with him.. but tell him the small block 383 makes a lot more power ..

start showing him V8 fiero links..

after all... how much damage can he do to a 86 cavalier..

just don't tell him about the LS4 small block as it has the proper bell housing pattern to bolt to the cavalier bell housing..   even though its shorter than other LS motors... its probably still too big to stuff between those shock towers...  

eTag eTag
11:57 AM

interesting...i didn't think the 350 or 383 would fit right... but that was just an eyeball look at it...  
---Spencer---

eTag eTag
12:12 PM

ok my bad...( or rather his bad) he told me the wrong car....it is an 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity.....

so lets try this again...what do you guys think? swap to a 350...or just rebuild the current engine?  
---Spencer---

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 155 | Joined: 04/12
01:40 PM

now...   the celebrity...   thats a nice wide engine bay.... and you could put a complete LS4 engine transmission combo in... its almost a bolt in..
here is a monte carlo LS4  5.3 V8 in a front wheel drive..   they wedge these in the back of  fiero and thats the same subframe and rear suspension as the celebrity front end is..

26211130019 Large

at this point in real life...

rebuild what he has is a LOT easier...  

reasons to rebuild..

low compression test results..
hammering noises deep in the engine that is not the torque converter bolts coming loose..
coolant/water in the oil pan from blown head gaskets..

reasons to do much more diagnosis...

check engine light on... access codes.. post them...
there are a lot of things that could be wrong making the car run awful   that do not involve an engine rebuild..

oil leaks are usually the o ring around the distributer base shrunken slightly.. it holds oil pressure in as the oil galleys pass directly below the distributer hold down flange..  

eTag eTag
Posted: 07/03/12
12:08 PM

thanks for the input....looks like he made his descision...now i get to rebuild...  
---Spencer---