Which powertrain? Vote

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Which powertrain? Vote

Gatlin Gatlin
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 05/22/12
07:45 PM

I recently traded for this '64 Chevelle. It's an old fashioned "barn find", besides the wheels it's stock. 283 4bbl, 3 on the tree, 10 bolt. Needs some rust repair and other than that it only needs.....well, everything. Anyways, I'm in the brainstorming period of the build. Trying to decide what direction to go. Heres my two favorite ideas so far, which do you guys think?

283 with a 5 speed

454 with a TH400

'64 'Velle 283, 3 on the tree, bone stock barn find...for now.

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 31 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 05/25/12
06:30 AM

Out of those two options the  454 with a TH400.
But if it was mine I would go with a 350 or 383 build w/TH-350.  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

wrp wrp
Enthusiast | Posts: 406 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 05/25/12
07:50 PM

I would personally think the most economical and optional combination would be an LSx with a Tremec 6 speed. JMHO I'd give anything to have something like that for my powertrain.  
A Bumblebee is considerably faster than a John Deere Tractor.

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 301 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 05/26/12
12:02 AM

I would go 6.0 with the 4L80E.

But a 350/350 with a 6 speed tremec and a 3:90 rear gear and I think when your tuned up you'll have a nice little ride... Grin  Cool  

64_Cutlass 64_Cutlass
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 01/12
12:45 AM

I'd vote 327 with overdrive trans be it 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto (assuming you want to keep costs reasonable).  The 327 keeps it to its roots and the overdrive helps at the pump. JMO. Nonetheless sweet little '64  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 155 | Joined: 04/12
03:54 PM

i would think that the 4 barrel 283 motor is going to get great mileage..

go for the 5 speed ..

at least until some other decent combo falls at your feet...  the nice thing.. is .. almost ANYthing will fit in that model...

rex carson from western performance about 1975/76 built a twin turbo small block version in that.. with the exhaust dumping up out in front of the front tires..  

cameronasi cameronasi
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 08/12
Posted: 09/04/12
08:06 AM

Nice car man those tyres and alloys will look great once you've polished them up.  

77_IMPALA_MAN 77_IMPALA_MAN
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/14/13
11:41 PM

Hello everybody!
 My first post/reply.....!
I'll cast my hat in on the vote choices that you gave, then offer you what my 5 combo suggestions are as well. Of couse every thing is dependant on your personal budget..here goes,

MY VOTE= 454 AND TH400,
The 283 is just too small...unless it is the numbers matching engine, and you're gonna do a full factory resto, I wouldn't waste my time with it. That is, unless it's the only good running mill you've got...then go with it, for now.

My suggestions.....

1). 454 stroked out to a 496 with a 6 speed, definitely a pricey build. It's what I have planned for my 65 Belair.

2). LS 6.0 with a 6 speed or 4L65e, junkyard complete pulls are very common today.
I recently saw a complete 6.0 & 6 speed from a '05 GTO w/43k on eBay sell for $3200.00. That price included the complete harness, pcm AND fuel delivery system. With a 101 day warranty!

3). 454 with a 200 4r, both can be built pretty strong on a modest budget. A variation on the 454/400 theme, you just gain the overdrive for the lower cruise R.P.M.'s. My reason for choosing the 200 4r over the 700r4? The 200 4r can still go into overdrive at wide open throttle, and stay there. The 700r4 cannot...it will force a downshift back into third gear! Plus you get to choose between lock-up and non lock-up torque converters with the 200 4r.

4).  383 stroker small block, 5 speed, I didn't forget about the 5 speed! Although I would be quite careful about what 5spd. you choose, as most of the GM units can't handle much more than 330 Ft.Lbs before they explode! At least in stock form. I would source a good aftermarket 5 speed for anything stronger than that, just for the added reliability/capability.
  Also, if you get a externally balanced crank kit, make sure that you include the man. trans flywheel & the balancer into the balance process. Or you will have a main bearing/trans input shaft bearing eating shudder that won't go away!

5).  350 Small block TH-350,( or 5spd.) The ubiquitous everyday combo. Cheapest to build, cheapest to find, cheapest to buy. A lot more bang for the buck, for the same money spent vs. the 283 idea! More cubes equals more power & torque.

(**sidenote**) You can substitute the 200 4r for any of the above combo's except the 6.0 if you've gotta have a auto w/ OD. Plus you can still use your stock length driveshaft too! Although I would have a stronger one built for the big power combo's.  
        Ultimately, the choice is up to you, remember....speed costs money, how fast do you wanna go? And with the gas prices on the rise, you've really got to think about the total package and what you want out of it. There is a fine line to be walked when searching for that perfect combination of power vs. performance vs. economy. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress..... Cool

77_IMPALA_MAN  
Quote to me, from my girlfriend while I was trying to accelerate onto the highway in my V6 Camaro..."Why is your butt up off of the seat?!? You're going to break the gas pedal off, it's not going to go any faster!"