1980 turn signal wiring

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

1980 turn signal wiring

yellowrustybird1 yellowrustybird1
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/28/12
04:16 PM

I have a 1980 firebird that I put a 454 into it. Then i put a aftermarket wiring harness in it and I can't figure out how to wire the turn signal in it every web site I have been to they all talk about a 7 pin but I have a ten pin and I can not figure out what the color code is. Also i was told that the Steering Column it self was out of a 1977 trans am i wanted a tilt Column in my car, But I doubt that I really do not know what the thing came out of. I am willing to buy a new one but I do not know what car to look up to get the right one I need or if someone might know how I need to wire the one I have I do have a picture of the connector to show the wiring colors.
the colors are:
white, green, yellow, purple, dk. brown, dk. blue, lg. blue, blk, green w tan stripe tan w white or green stripe can't tell the stripe color on that one. On the harness side it looked like only 4 wires were hooked up but i been having taillight and blinker problems for years that's why I replaced my wiring harness but never expected to run into this.  
thanks for all your help

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 155 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 06/28/12
08:34 PM

the colors are WRONG in this picture as its for a jeep... but the position is correct...

Tsharnessplug

if there are wires in the UPPER 3 positions that are unused in this.. they are for Cornering lights usually used on caddys and other lux cars...

key buzzer
key buzzer
horn (this gets grounded by the horn button to close the horn relay contacts)
left from and dash indicator (this goes to the left front turn signal bulb and left dash bulb.)
right front and dash indicator (this goes to the right front turn signal bulb and right dash bulb)
hazard flasher (this is power from the Hazard flasher..  flashing power when the switch pushed in)
turn signal flasher ( this is flashing power from the turn signal flasher)
left rear stop and turn
right rear stop and turn.
brake slight switch..    this has power when your foot is on the brake...

########

the hazard flasher and the brake switch usually get power from the same fuse..
the turn signal flasher gets switched power.. hot in the run position..

a trick in GM side marker light wiring that might be slipping you up...

starting in the mid 70s..  the side marker bulbs were NOT grounded to a fixed ground.. one side was hooked to the parking/Tail lights..   the other wire was hooked to the turn signal wiring on that side of the car...    when you have the headlights on.. the side marker bulb comes on constant..  grounding through the dark turn signal filament..   when the turn signal is activated.. the current flows  the other way when the turn signal is flashing so the side marker lights turn off and on out of phase with the turn signals.. driving some owners crazy wondering how that happened..

you will have serious issues if you don't have the front turn signal bulbs properly grounded..

you will have serious issues if you don't have the rear turn signals and back up lights properly grounded..

you will have serious issues.. if you don't have at least 3 ground connections

battery negative to the ENGINE block.. this is the thick battery negative cable..

battery negative terminal to the body..  this is usually a 10 or 12 gauge..

engine block .. usually the back of the cylinder head via a braided ground strap to the firewall..

some cars have up to 6 ground connections between the various parts of the engine and the body ..    grounds are important..   ground is not really a ground.. its HALF The circuit..

post some more info on what your lights are doing.. or not doing..

i or one of the other forum members might be able to point you into the proper direction..

if you have a digital volt meter.. please post that info.. as i have a 5 minute test for you to check the grounds..

i do probably have a wiring diagram for that.. if you have more questions..  

Posted: 06/29/12
10:34 PM

thanks so much this is what i have been looking for now i understand the buzzer circuit was confusing me thanks again so very much  
thanks for all your help

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 155 | Joined: 04/12
10:39 PM

glad to help you get the BUZZ out...  

10:44 PM

thanks so much. Yes i do have a digital volt meter. I have not put the battery in yet for the turn signal switch problem. And I have not hooked up the headlight switch yet either but as soon as i do i will let you know if it works or not thanks again. nik  
thanks for all your help