REAR BRAKE LOCK

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

REAR BRAKE LOCK

Femaledriver Femaledriver
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/15/08
12:35 PM

I have an 02'Buick Centry.  A couple of times my brakes on the rear would lock whenever I had to break suddenly.  I would have to put it in to reverse or gear 1,2,3 & then back to drive in order to unlock.  That didn't work this last time.  It looks like it is only my rear driver side.  When it locked this last time I tried to drive in reverse, my rear driver side tire did not move and pushed the gravel but the other rear tire was ok.  What could it possibly be? Confused  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 436 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 01/15/08
03:42 PM

it's time to take it to somebody who works on brakes...

just guessing as it could be several things...

incorrect fluid caused the seals to swell and prevent the fluid from releasing..
(NEVER use fluid from a unlabled bottle in the brake system) just this week i had to tell a customer that they put powersteering fluid in his clutch... a month ago a lady put powersteering fluid into her range rover antilock brakes and drove it for a few days... it locked up also... $6K was the estamate at the shop she took it too..

what else...

worn brake linings...  on some types of brake systems when the linings wore down to the rivets the brakes would lock up...

broken  return springs...  

seized wheel bearings... in places where the car can get into deep water that can happen...

if it has antilock brakes.. there may be a bigger problem with the antilock hydraulics..  

Normsride Normsride
User | Posts: 63 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/24/09
02:06 PM

Waynep7122 Is right. If you don't know about brakes, get help.
If you do. Then don't forget to check the parking brake. When slightly on or on for just one wheel. (usually caused by rusted cables, if brake is never used) The vehicle will back up but lock in drive, after driving and heat expantion. But yes it could be many things.

Good luck.  

ammaar555 ammaar555
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/12/11
06:18 AM

I haven't herd some problem like this....does anybody know the reason for this rear locking..?

auto shipping|car shipping quote  

Budnicks Budnicks
Enthusiast | Posts: 676 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 03/12/11
01:48 PM

FemalDriver welcome to CC forum. the 2002 Buick Centry will have anti-lock brakes for sure. If the relucter was hit by a rock or something got nocked out of allienment the system will malfuntion. These cars are not ment for off road use but rough gravel roads may cause an issue or something lodged in the barakes possibly. I have had Fords do something simular the system needed to be bled & you need a OBDII scanner tool (atleast on the F-350 I was working on) I'm not sure if you need the tool on the Buick or not I know my old 97 Buick LeSabre had 4 wheel disc. with anti-lock brakes, I'm not familure with the Centry. I would recommend taking to a tech. that you trust. I would also suggest doing a Google search for the parts & repair to familurize your self with the system & costs of parts so if you take it to a tech. you don't get ripped off, a little knowledge is great. Good luck.     Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"

JacSmith JacSmith
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/27/12
01:51 AM

I've heard that the 2002 Buick Century does have the feature of anti lock break. Well actually the reverse is a really helpful process but make a 5 to 6 times trial and at least twice every week to monitor your car. The brake dust wouldn't either affect the locking up but you might as well check the other vehicle parts rear calipers that are used for binding or the park brake shoes.