GM 8.5 semi-float rear end

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

GM 8.5 semi-float rear end

oldsfreak-#002 oldsfreak-#002
User | Posts: 218 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/18/12
10:38 PM

Pulled the rear axle apart from my '76 cutlass, NO C-clips, I had no idea what I had, further inspection found out it is a 28 spline axle and by 8.5 mini spool fits in the carrier, I could find very little information about this, looking to find some more information about axle bearings, and if the pinion bearings are the same as a c-clip rear end. Other thing I would like to know is why very few were made...  
"Racing isnt a hobby, its a way of life"

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 301 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 03/19/12
12:58 AM

Go to  www.richmondgear.com  They have brek-downs of all the rears. It sound like your off to a good start.  

10:24 PM

couldnt find anything, same with randy's ring and pinion website, what I found out is it is a BOP 8.5". Everything is the same except when you get the the axles, the axles set up like a ford 9 inch, a bolt flange slides on the axle which bolts to the housing, then your seal and bearing (tapered bearing) then a sleeve is also pressed on to help hold the bearing on the axle.  Axle bearings and seals are expensive compared to the c-clip style rear end. Local parts store should be able to help out. But on the plus side on all this confusion, I dont need c-clip eliminators to put in the full spool I just ordered  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 301 | Joined: 10/11
10:47 PM

As many of those 8.5 rears I've done I replace many ring and pinion sets and never remember any difference. Some of the 8.2 get confusing. So I would just get the gearings for the 8.5 and replace them as such the only thing your stuck with the mini spool spline if you want to change to a bigger axle, and spline you will have to change that mini spool to whatever splines you want.

Does that mini spool push your car around on turns? Does it want to go straight all the time. They are a *** on handling for a street car. Just a little FYI.  

Posted: 10/09/12
08:15 PM

this rear end is for my race car, we run stagger front and rear, having a larger tire on the passenger side with a locked rear end does help turn the car. imagin a cup laid on its side on a table, roll the cup and it will turn, same happens when you stagger the rear end.