Item Posts    Sort Order

Napa Crossfire Acrylic Enamel

Bryan73 Bryan73
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/21/12
01:58 PM

Hey all longtime lurker !

love the site.

I'm spraying a 1973 MGB with Napa Crossfire Acrylic Enamel (Blaze red). This car is a driver not a show car. I'm sanding the car down with 320 scuff pads. This is the first time I have ever painted anything. I do have a 6 hp 30 gal craftsman air compressor and water seperator. I had a few questions and wanted to know what you pros think.

*Should I use a conventional gun hvlp or turbine? The Turbine is a rental from Home depot and is a 4 stage.

*If I go the route of Hvlp gun should I use a tip smaller than 1.4? I've read where people use 1.0 for AE SS and turn the air up.

* I also read I don't have to use a hardener but it won't shine that well. Is a hardener necessary??

Here is the paint
[url]http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/media/pds/english/9104.pdf[/url]

[url]http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/en/ProductHighlights/~/media/Martin-Senour-Files/Product-Information/Crossfire/Systems-Quick-Reference.ashx[/url]

Guns I'm looking at: But I'm not opposed to spending a little more to get a better flow.

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-66222.html

The car does not have any rust. I cut out all the bad and installed new metal. I'm using rage extreme for smoothing out the welds. I'll wash and remove wax, remove all the chrome, sand, filler. The new metal is already primed.

Pictures

IMG 20120211 00032

IMG 20120212 00036

http://picasaweb.google.com/102677989530297021095/20120113

Any other tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bryan  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Guru | Posts: 1050 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 02/21/12
06:05 PM

Hi, I've shot a few but never used that stuff.

Gravity feed HVLP is my choice from those three.

1.4 should be fine.

Use the hardener, you'll be much happier with the results.

The purple gun is junk, I've got one. Poorly machined nozzles. Try the other or borrow a decent one for spray day.

Since you are sanding with 320 grit and using a red color, I would suggest using red sealer or additional finer sanding.

The sealer and hardener will yes cost a bit more but its spending the money in the right place. The sealer helps it stick and last, plus makes the coverage and "hiding" better. The hardener may mean the difference of being able to wipe off bird droppings without leaving a mark or not.

To keep your DIY enamel paint job happy, do minimal polishing but maximum waxing. Keep us posted on how it goes and give a shout if you have any other questions.  
idrivejunk

TAMCOPAINT.COM TAMCOPAINT.COM
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/25/12
05:46 PM

If you haven't tried Tamco Products, you are missing the boat. WE MAKE WHAT WE SELL-- WE ARE THE MANUFACTURE with over 30 years experience.

WE ANSWER QUESTIONS honestly and are here after the sale!

Compare to PPG™, Dupont™, Sherwin-Williams™, BASF™, Nasson™ or any others out there! No better deal available anywhere.

We offer a toll free Tech Line  800-678-1533.... Need to make extra income???? Become a Distributor for Tamco! (many areas are still open!)

We will save you HUNDRED'S over your local paint stores. Please call us 800-678-1533!

Warranty
General Warranty of Tamco Products used in conjunction with other products not manufactured by Tamco:
Tamco products are only as good as the materials used in conjunction with our products and are warrantied in general for a period of 3 years against fading. In the event that our products fail within three years due to fading, the cost of materials will be refunded 100% with proof of purchase.  Since
application variables are a major factor in product performance,  Tamco assumes no obligation or liability for use of this information.

Lifetime Warranty:

Tamco does offer a lifetime warranty when used as a total system that includes the proper primer, basecoat or color coat,* and clear-coat* applied on automobiles. Limited warranties are also available to certain Marine, Fleet and Industrial applications with prior approval in writing.  The total amount of any warranty shall not exceed 7 times the material costs at the sole discretion of Tamco.

####"lifetime" means the life of the vehicle while owned by the same person who owned the vehicle at the time of the original repairs.

Contact Tamco in writing at tamcopaint@aol.com for your shop's particular warranty needs.

Our products are for use by trained professional personnel using proper production automotive spray equipment suitable for the paint to be sprayed.  Proper spray booth, air system, respirator and basic spray painting ability are required.

* Clear Coats available for lifetime warranties are limited to these only: HC-7600, HC-7677,  HC-2020, HC2021, HC-2100, HC-2104nd HC-4100.  HC-7677 is the only clear warrantied for life in FLEET, Marine or Industrial applications- limited to a maximum of 5 times purchase price. The only single stage color coat warrantied for life is TamFlint Urethane.