another article idea

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

another article idea

prairiehotrodder prairiehotrodder
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/06/11
02:02 PM

Everyone now knows that the LS motor does evrything better than a regular sbc. The real question is how it measures up to a BBC. This isn't a new idea but do the comparison of say a 427 cube LS and BBC with the same compression, cam, and equivalent heads styles. Possibly L92 heads compared to 781's or 049's. Or even to make it a better challenge put some budget aluminum on the BBC, maybe patriot heads?  Dyno test them. BBC guys love their motors but they hate the weight. After the dyno test then do the 'in car" dragstrip test. Which will be faster?
brian  
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com

prairiehotrodder prairiehotrodder
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 01/12/12
05:34 PM

I haven't seen this in the mag yet, do the magazine writers even read this stuff? At least post and say if you think its a good or bad idea.
brian  
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Guru | Posts: 1041 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 01/14/12
02:14 PM

Nope, the writers don't read the forum much. Email them.  
idrivejunk

460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC 460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC
Guru | Posts: 1163 | Joined: 10/03
Posted: 01/17/12
01:09 PM

You can be sure that if CC does this article, they'll spec the parts so that it comes out in favor of the "LESS" V8.  That's what the advertisers want.

If memory serves, CC did a similar story back in the Freiburger or Matt King days comparing a big SBC to a small BBC.

I'm uncertain why anyone but a restorer or a cheapskate would be messing around with 427-cube (or smaller) BBCs now that stroker kits are so popular.

A better way of looking at the problem is which engine is the cheapest way to a carefully-selected street performance benchmark (i.e. 10.89, which is the daily driver limit of HRM's Drag Week).

Of course, if aesthetics is thrown into the mix, there's no way a dog-ugly "Less" can stand up to a vintage "Rat."  
--------------------------------
460_BBF_Turbo-in-CC (formerly Dr511scj) "This guy has no life other than posting endlessly on carcraft.com." -- Car Craft, July 2005
-------
October 1, 2003: " I'm thinking a couple of...turbos, blowing through an old Powerstroke intercooler...on a Super Cobra Jet-head 460 would be mad cheap and make sick power."
-------
"I have no problem with your...talking to several versions of yourself...or pointing out our failure to do a turbo story ...." --Douglas "CC/Rambler" Glad