1967 Mercury Monterey

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

1967 Mercury Monterey

volsfan87 volsfan87
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/18/11
09:28 PM

I have a 1967 Mercury Monterey Breezeway, that my grandparents bought new back around 1970. It was my grandmothers daily driver till probably the late 80s and they keep it running -till about 1990 or so and for the past 15- 20 years it has been sitting in there garage and I want to get it back into running condition for my grandmother and my dad and it would be cool to drive. It has the FE 390 all orignial which ran when it was put into the garage. I was wondering what I need to do before I put a new battery in it and fill it up with gas. I figured change all the fluids(i.e. oil coolant brake power steering) and replace the gas tank which has probably rusted.
So, what I am trying to figure out what I need to do before i turn the key for the first time. Is there anything huge I am missing? What do y'all recommend doing so I can get this car running again?  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 301 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 12/19/11
07:41 AM

volsfan87 WELCOME ABOARD:

The first this before firing the old girl up.

Did any little critters make their home under the hood while it sat?

Take all the spark plugs out.Spray Wd-40 in each cylinder Don't be affraid to spray it in there. After a few hours try turning the crankshaft. Spray more WD-40 in the cylinders.
Basicly you covered most of it. I would be concerned about the gas tank, and all the fuel lines and maybe go through the carb.

Once you get ie running get it maybe in the street and do some hard braking with it. If the lines are going to blow,your not far from home..Good Luck  

volsfan87 volsfan87
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/20/11
08:47 PM

I don't see anything living in it. It was keep in a garage in a residental area so it would be hard for them to have gotten in there. How can I see if the fuel lines are rusted out? I have already found a new gas tank for it. But is there a way to push gas through the line to see if rust comes out. I was thinking when I disconnect it from the gas tank I could disconnect it from the carb to but how can I force the gas through it without the fuel pump? Do you have any ideas how i can check this out?  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 301 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 12/20/11
10:13 PM

The reason I asked about little critters Chick Monks or Ground Sqrirrels are all over they make a mess.

If you get a jegs catalog look to see if they sell an oil pump priming tool. Fords rocker arms are feed oil thru the block thru the head thru the rocker arm stands. It takes them quit awhile to get oil to the rocker arm. JEGS lists them for Ford,I don't see one for 390. website www.jegs.com It will serve 2 purposes. You'll know if the oil pump is still working,2 you'll have primed the engine with oil before you start the engine. Don't rush, it sounds like a nice ride. If that is the 390 with a 4BBL. they were making 270 in 1970. Thats why you want to prime the oil pump also IT WOULD NOT HURT TO PUT A CAM BREAK IN OIL IN. The oil companies don't use ZDDP any more. That was a Zinc additive for cam break in on new cams,but because the engine hadn't been started in so long it will help save the cam.

If you can take the pickup and sending unit cover up you should be able to look inside the tank. Sometime radiator shops can pressure test and flush them,see if there are any close by. The carb and the gas tank I worry about the most 20 years ago is about when the Unleaded gas with 10% alcohol really started being used. So you might want to get the carb rebuilt so it will handle the fuel.
Thanks
Bob  

jhooch jhooch
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 09/12/13
09:44 PM

Cool ride. I have a 1964 Mercury Montclair Maruader 2dr HT, 390 as well. Good advice above. Go to www.pure-gas.org to find which stations near you seal "pure" gasoline. Our older rides do not like that ethanol stuff. I use Valvoline VR1 oil designed for flat tappet camshafts, not to expensive at local NAPA. Good luck with the new project!

Post some pics at www.facebook.com/fullsizeford  
Jeff Hooper
www.facebook.com/fullsizeford
www.fullsizeford.com