Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Restoration on a budget

tomasz26 tomasz26
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/20/11
10:31 AM

Hello everyone,
I am new to this community and car restoration in general but extremely interested in the art. I am 19 years old and can't  stop thinking about starting a project of my own. My grandfather who is a car enthusiast might just have the perfect start for me but I would like other's opinions to help analyze my situation. A 1973 Plymouth Valiant has been in the family for a long time. Recently the car has had the transmission redone as well as the brakes and other mechanical parts that I am unaware of at this time. In a nutshell, the slant 6 is running pretty well. The exterior of the car has some rust but nothing major it has been garaged most of its life. Regardless of the paint condition I really want to repaint the car and give it a hot rod look as opposed to stock. But instead of sending it off to someone I would like to paint it my self and I have a connection to give me a lesson on painting so I'm hoping that will lower the cost. The carpet needs to be replaced but the seats are in good shape, although I might get new wraps for the seats to match the new paint job. A new dash may be required during this process as well. Finally, I'd like to get new wheels on it but that part I have handled. In conclusion I want to get this car on the road again and in style because I would like to join this interesting, cool community of the hobby and learn the tricks of the trade and who doesn't want a badass hot rod in their collection. Unfortunately I'm in college and funds for a project like this are low but I would hate to have something like that stop me. I know I am young and not very knowledgable about a project like this so thats why I am asking you for your wise opinions, advice and support. Thank you.  

Budnicks Budnicks
Enthusiast | Posts: 676 | Joined: 10/10
12:02 PM

tomasz26 1st of welcome to Car Craft forum, the Restoration on a budget is kind of an "OXYMORON" everyone idea of a budget is different, there really is no way to do a restoration "cheap" with out doing the majority of the work yourself, that will save you the most amount of money in the long run, I would 1st suggest getting a "Factory Service Manual" for your specific year, make & model of car, to be restore... 2nd, I would buy every book or CD if you prefer educate yourself on all aspects of your build, on body work, engine repair, automotive electronics, carburetors, ignition systems, transmissions, interiors, etc. that are applicable to your specific build & needs/wants... The 3rd thing, don't get "cheap" buy a quality part the 1st time not the cheapest available, instead of having to do it several times, it will be cheaper, better & less trouble in the long run... 4th make a strict outline/goals of your project & stick to it, if you veer from your original outline/goals it can cost you a lot of extra money having to change parts that were all ready purchased, not returnable & have to do stuff over again... 5th be patient many projects are ruined because of rushing & not thinking thru all the steps... Good luck with your 73 Valiant, it's a Mopar so your good in my book...LOL... Try Mancini Racing 1st, Summit Racing, Jegs, Year One, for some of the necessary parts, then I would go to -Moparts.com- main index at the bottom of the page there are some great links to sites that are Mopar specific for performance, restoration, replacement parts & information... Last there is a forum for -A-Body- Mopars, "that's what your Valiant is", called  -ForAbodiesOnly.com- good people & lots of great information, new & used parts for sale... I wish you well on your future projects...     Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"

Budnicks Budnicks
12:08 PM

tomasz26 also go to Mopar Muscle Magazine, Forum, you can also use you same screen name & password you use here, they are owned by the same company... Good luck...  Budnicks  

tomasz26 tomasz26
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/21/11
08:05 AM

Thank you very much Budnicks! Your advice is greatly appreciated and I will definitely stock up my library Laugh  

Budnicks Budnicks
Posted: 07/21/11
01:08 PM

That sounds like the perfect place to start...  

Red_Hill Red_Hill
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/14/11
02:47 PM

It used to be that you could paint a car at home for relatively short money. That does not seem to be the case any longer. Regardless, have fun with your project, while learning!  

Scamp_GT Scamp_GT
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/15/11
02:53 PM

Hey man whats up?
I am in the same boat except i got a full restoration on my hands. Like Budnicks said get books, get the service manuals,and anything else you can think of to get that car running.. I'm just as old as you and I KINDA have an idea of what I got to do the first 3-5 months not including the body/ interior work. Make a plan and try to stick to the orginal body and engine specs for the first build.
Good luck.  
Be like Tiger and bounce outa here.

1983 Plymouth Scamp GT- being rebuilt