Paint Issue - Rippled/Wrinkled

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Paint Issue - Rippled/Wrinkled

maxriv73 maxriv73
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 06/08/11
09:22 AM

I had my 73 Buick Riviera repainted 3+ years ago. Within a few weeks the paint around the sideview mirrors began to lift in a ripple or wrinkle as if the mirrors were installed and pushed into soft paint. The same problem developed around other areas such as door lock cylinders, body moldings(wheel, trunk lid, doors and rear window). The paint is now hard and brittle and has chipped off of one rippled area. The owner of the shop said he has never seen this problem before. After doing a little researc h at the store where the paint was purchased it was suggested that the paint might be too thick. The car was painted without stripping(at my request and with the owners agreement)and has had two previous repaints which the shop was aware of. They are now saying the problem is due to too much paint (thickness) on the car. Being a car owner and not a paint expert I am looking for information, suggestions, knowledge of similar problems or other causes of this condition. I have been trying to resolve this with the shop owner in an amicable manner for several years and have just been put off and stalled. All moldings, door handles, etc. were removed prior to body work, prep and paint. PPG Basecoat Clearcoat was used to paint car. Responses appreciated.  

Budnicks Budnicks
Enthusiast | Posts: 676 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 06/09/11
11:55 AM

maxriv73 1st off welcome to the CC forum. Prep is everything in a paint job. It sounds almost like the paint lifting form not painting quick enough between coats & the paint flashed so you no longer have the proper adhesion between coats, if you don't get the next coat on in the proper time the paint will some times wrinkle & lift in time or just peel off. The other possible thought is that the surface below the new paint wasn't sealed properly & was not compatible with the new paint on top & caused lifting. Different style/blends paints are subject to that type of thing. I'm not a pro-painter by any means, but I have seen & heard of those kind of issues in the past.  Just my thoughts. Good luck.  Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"

Pontiacman Pontiacman
Guru | Posts: 1890 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 06/10/11
11:35 AM

I would say it probably was not sanded and cleaned properly in those areas or the paint may have been applied too thick to quick.  
Professional hi-performance engine builder
Horsepower sells Engines and torque wins races.
Pontiacman

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Guru | Posts: 1050 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 06/10/11
07:31 PM

Sounds like theres lacquer underneath the 2nd repaint, and everywhere it was sanded through, the lacquer was exposed. Probably was not covered with a suitable thickness of primer to isolate the lacquer job. So the simple answer is yes the paint is too thick. Not applied too thick, but built up too thick. The person who decided it was OK to put fresh paint over an unknown thickness of an existing finish is the mistake maker. There are paint thickness guages for avoiding these situations. To fix, strip and re-apply.  
idrivejunk

Ron1973 Ron1973
Enthusiast | Posts: 629 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 06/11/11
10:29 PM

Well i guessed wrong, i was thinking that it wasn't the right primer/sealer that caused it. Safe to say now thats why i didn't say anything... Learned something new! Seems the owner of the shop should have been aware of this being a shop that does this work. IMO..  

trevorr1148 trevorr1148
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 09/26/11
07:15 PM

I have had similar problems... the answer i have found is that it is due to 1 or more of the following. Improper hardener, surface to cold when sprayed and "piling" the paint on when it was sprayed. I have also heard that "fanning" will cause it too. but i'm no expert  

trevorr1148 trevorr1148

I have had similar problems... the answer i have found is that it is due to 1 or more of the following. Improper hardener, surface to cold when sprayed and "piling" the paint on when it was sprayed. I have also heard that "fanning" will cause it too. but i'm no expert  

trevorr1148 trevorr1148

trevorr1148 trevorr1148
07:16 PM

TAMCOPAINT.COM TAMCOPAINT.COM
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/25/12
05:45 PM

If you haven't tried Tamco Products, you are missing the boat. WE MAKE WHAT WE SELL-- WE ARE THE MANUFACTURE with over 30 years experience.

WE ANSWER QUESTIONS honestly and are here after the sale!

Compare to PPG™, Dupont™, Sherwin-Williams™, BASF™, Nasson™ or any others out there! No better deal available anywhere.

We offer a toll free Tech Line  800-678-1533.... Need to make extra income???? Become a Distributor for Tamco! (many areas are still open!)

We will save you HUNDRED'S over your local paint stores. Please call us 800-678-1533!

Warranty
General Warranty of Tamco Products used in conjunction with other products not manufactured by Tamco:
Tamco products are only as good as the materials used in conjunction with our products and are warrantied in general for a period of 3 years against fading. In the event that our products fail within three years due to fading, the cost of materials will be refunded 100% with proof of purchase.  Since
application variables are a major factor in product performance,  Tamco assumes no obligation or liability for use of this information.

Lifetime Warranty:

Tamco does offer a lifetime warranty when used as a total system that includes the proper primer, basecoat or color coat,* and clear-coat* applied on automobiles. Limited warranties are also available to certain Marine, Fleet and Industrial applications with prior approval in writing.  The total amount of any warranty shall not exceed 7 times the material costs at the sole discretion of Tamco.

####"lifetime" means the life of the vehicle while owned by the same person who owned the vehicle at the time of the original repairs.

Contact Tamco in writing at tamcopaint@aol.com for your shop's particular warranty needs.

Our products are for use by trained professional personnel using proper production automotive spray equipment suitable for the paint to be sprayed.  Proper spray booth, air system, respirator and basic spray painting ability are required.

* Clear Coats available for lifetime warranties are limited to these only: HC-7600, HC-7677,  HC-2020, HC2021, HC-2100, HC-2104nd HC-4100.  HC-7677 is the only clear warrantied for life in FLEET, Marine or Industrial applications- limited to a maximum of 5 times purchase price. The only single stage color coat warrantied for life is TamFlint Urethane.