Need help wiring a 1986 305 chevy small block

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need help wiring a 1986 305 chevy small block

seanwr30 seanwr30
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/16/11
06:57 AM

OK so I dropped a 305 chevy in my 1990 nissan 240sx and im wanting to know the easiest way to do the wiring. Carburetor, distributor coil, starter solenoid, will go to 12volt when key is in start position? Also starter and alternator to battery? Is this setup right or am I missing or doing something wrong?  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Enthusiast | Posts: 388 | Joined: 04/10
10:22 AM

easy.?   battery + to starter.  battery - to block.   fused 10 gauge wire from + battery, inside the car to 2 switches.  1 push-button to the "s" side of the starter.   toggle switch to the + on the h.e.i.     get a "1 wire" alternator from summit.   crude,..but effective.   having your ignition wired seperatly from the starter is a good idea on high compression motors, cause you can get it spinning quickly, then light the fire.   Cool  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 594 | Joined: 08/09
10:27 AM

if you want to use the nissan wiring to hook to your chevy implant...

you will need some of the wiring diagrams for the nissan...    

autozone does have them.. you will want figures 10 , 11 and 12 from this page...  you will probably need to join autozone in the upper right corner.. then log in. its free...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c15280099a45  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 594 | Joined: 08/09
10:41 AM

in looking at the wiring diagrams...

looks like in figure 10... that brown with a red stripe will go to the HEI...

the light green and brown stripe wire from the ECM is grounded to turn on the nissan cooling fan relays.. i don't know if you are using the nissan cooling fans..    there are a bunch of different ways to turn them on ..

the upper right corner of figure 11.. shows the alternator ...  if you are running a conventional delco 10SI.. 1971 to 1984.. the white wires to the back of the alternator and where the large wire is on the side...    the white with red stripe into the small wire which is the indicator light..

on fig 12... the black and yellow wire from the ignition switch is the cranking circuit... warning.. you will probably want to use a load dropping relay on this circuit.. as the delco starter solenoid pulls a lot more amperage than the gear reduction nissan starter... so without it .. you may be replacing the electric part of the ignition switch a lot more often..   maybe cheep.. maybe not.. there is an interlock relay.. to bypass... on the oe stick shift models and a neutral safety switch thats no longer there on the automatic models..   you will probably want to think about some kind of neutral safety switch.. as some venues require it.. so the car cannot start in gear and move ...

hope this helps...

i hope that you have tagged the oil pressure and engine temp sensor wires...  as they are not listed.. on the AZ diagrams..

warning.  the GM sensors oil and temp.. unless they are lights not gauges... will not match the resistance.... so they may not be accurate...    do post if you have oil pressure and temp gauges in the factory dash board...  

TommyG71 TommyG71
New User | Posts: 43 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 04/12/11
11:05 PM

what no jabs for puttin a 305 in it? might of been faster with the old engine.  

Ron1973 Ron1973
Enthusiast | Posts: 629 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 04/12/11
11:20 PM

We do-not do those things here TommyG71. Simply put. You may want to note this thread is a month old also. You have a good night now. Ron  

cowboy14 cowboy14
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/22/11
02:37 PM

I think it would be better if you do this with a professional  
Watch out for used Nissan Altima cars in your area