Prev |  1 |  2
Item Posts    Sort Order

Switching from 3:73 to 3:08 gears?

ethelkilledfred-#001 ethelkilledfred-#001
Enthusiast | Posts: 562 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 03/24/11
09:16 AM

Icon QuoteXAmish:
if i use my other rear end ill have to make it work, meaning make brackets to fit my truck... AND i would rather have 3:73 than 3:08. i dont want to buy a whole new rear end unless i get rid of my 3:08. what about a "locker kit"? ive herd of it and apparently it locks the gears in place.

Are the rear  ends the same type? Go to a rear end shop and have them take a look.
3.08 use a 3 series posi, and 4.11 use a 4 series posi. 3.73 use a 3 series posi.
Take the posi out of the 3.08 and stick it into 3.73. Done. I agree with everyone and recommend think on an overdrive tranny. Best of both worlds.  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC 460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC
Guru | Posts: 1163 | Joined: 10/03
11:16 AM

Not a fan of spools or "welded lockers" (poor-man's spool) for the street.

In every turn, the outer rear wheel has to travel farther than the inner.  Without a differential of some kind, one wheel is forced to break traction several times during the turn. Even if you can put up with the harshness, vibration, "tire chirping," and excessive tire wear, lack of a differential will likely shorten the lifespan of cheap factory axle shafts.  And without a full-floating rear end housing, that can lead to loss of control.  Not good.

A welded locker is even more dangerous than a spool if weld quality is suspect.  Who wants a broken weld or failed side gear trashing everything in the "pumpkin" or precipitating a loss-of-control crash?

Moreover, a spool or a welded locker is going to increase understeer, unless you're breaking the tires loose to cause power oversteer. A truck already understeers (pushes) too much because of poor weight distribution (when unloaded). Making it harder to turn seems like a step in the wrong direction on the street.

Spools or even welded lockers work on the strip because there's no turning involved.  And they sometimes work in oval track racing because tire stagger (smaller diameter tire on the left (inside) rear) helps turning.  But it's a terrible idea for the street.  
--------------------------------
460_BBF_Turbo-in-CC (formerly Dr511scj) "This guy has no life other than posting endlessly on carcraft.com." -- Car Craft, July 2005
-------
October 1, 2003: " I'm thinking a couple of...turbos, blowing through an old Powerstroke intercooler...on a Super Cobra Jet-head 460 would be mad cheap and make sick power."
-------
"I have no problem with your...talking to several versions of yourself...or pointing out our failure to do a turbo story ...." --Douglas "CC/Rambler" Glad

Ron1973 Ron1973
Enthusiast | Posts: 629 | Joined: 09/10
10:46 PM

I cant comment on the "welded lockers" ive never done that But i know of guys back in the old days who welded it all up and wished they wouldn't have. Im not trying to say what to do. it just doesn't sound like a good thing, think ill leave it to the experts, just hate to see someone getting hurt when there are other options to consider. Have good night guys, going to give some sleep i need a try, hope it works better then the last week trying. LOL.  

XAmish XAmish
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/26/11
09:09 AM

The only problem with switching the posi from the 308 to the 373 is that the 308 has performance gears so the whole differntial housing comes out.. i dont know if it will work seeing as my 373 is stock (inspection plate)  

XAmish XAmish
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 04/20/11
05:08 PM

How bout a Detroit Locker?
Ive herd of them but dont know alot about them...  

460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC 460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC
Guru | Posts: 1163 | Joined: 10/03
Posted: 04/21/11
07:56 AM

A "Detroit Locker" is probably the most violent of the differential solutions. In normal straight-line driving, it functions as locked differential. However, unlike a spool, a Detroit Locker will unlock based on wheel torque inputs, allowing for some semblance of differential action.  The locking and unlocking are some times referred to as "ratcheting."  Detroit Lockers have a reputation for being somewhat noisy and unrefined in operation. On the other hand, they also have a reputation for being rugged.

Detroit Lockers were used in 1960s racing cars with varying degrees of success.  Some drivers found that they would lock and unlock at the most unopportune times (i.e. in mid-corner), upsetting the handling.  They remain in production and are most commonly used in modified off-road vehicles.  They are too rough and violent for use by today's OEMs.

A Detroit Locker is much better than a spool, mini-spool or welded locker in a street car.  However, it's probably not as satisfactory as more modern differentials such as an "air locker," "E-locker", Auburn ECTED, Truetrac, or clutch-type limited-slip units.  
--------------------------------
460_BBF_Turbo-in-CC (formerly Dr511scj) "This guy has no life other than posting endlessly on carcraft.com." -- Car Craft, July 2005
-------
October 1, 2003: " I'm thinking a couple of...turbos, blowing through an old Powerstroke intercooler...on a Super Cobra Jet-head 460 would be mad cheap and make sick power."
-------
"I have no problem with your...talking to several versions of yourself...or pointing out our failure to do a turbo story ...." --Douglas "CC/Rambler" Glad

Prev |  1 |  2