Car Craft
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

yes yes, converting column shift to floor shift

Luke476 Luke476
User | Posts: 227 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 12/24/10
01:17 PM

Hey, so the project is ongoing. I have this idea to convert the column shift to floor shift, for esthetics, and also to help out with the extra ponies yet to come. Now apparently theres different ways of doing this. One, i can find a console from an 80's monte, cutty, or regal etc, and copy how they did it. Because my 86 caprice, or any caprice never ever had floor shift, so this would also make it more unique. But what I want, is to keep the (non-bucket seats 55/45 split bench) and just throw in a nice angled shifter of some sort, angled so i can reach it with these seats, and make the gear indicator work on the top. Can I just keep my column linkage all hooked up, remove the actual shifter (at the wheel with rollpin) and somehow hook up a rod or cable to where the shifter sticks out of the trans that will go to the floor shift? so really, the column shift stays (its components but, im really changing gears from the flooor. Get what im saying?

let me know,

Luke

Ps what kind of kit would I be looking for. I dont want anything too crazy, just something simple.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 594 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 12/25/10
12:09 AM

luke... there is some articles on building consoles and other custom interiors...

this is how dash boards get recovered..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP5AoTUGvMY

does your shifter cable come out the front of the shifter...  you could be creative... build a console for the bench seat... with a big C  for the front of the seat to slide forward into....

leaving the factory lever to the column is how gm has done console shift cars for years...  

squarebackjalopy squarebackjalopy
User | Posts: 221 | Joined: 01/07
05:26 AM

Hey let us know how this comes out. I was planning on doing the same thing to my 87 Caprice Wagon some time in the near future.  
`

It may not be the fastest or prettiest, but i can pretend

Luke476 Luke476
07:55 AM

Lol I dont need info on restoring my dashboard.. thanks wayne My dash is mint. What I need is someone to tell me if this idea will work and if so what part out there will be capable of doing so.

thanks in advance, Ps Merry Christmas you guys.

Luke  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 594 | Joined: 08/09
09:37 AM

luke... i posted that link on another thread.. and thought about how you are going to cover your new console...

additional knowledge cannot overload your brain...  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Guru | Posts: 1041 | Joined: 12/09
05:55 PM

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Performance-Automatic-Shifters/Unimatic-shifter

+1 wayne  Laugh

Merry Christmas, you two.

Luke, if you want an indicator on the floor in addition to your "PRNDL" on the dash, you'll need to look at other shifters on that linked site above, like the Megashifter or V-gate. The Unimatic would work best with the bench seat, IMO. If I were you, I'd look for a good grab on buckets and console from a 78-83 Malibu. The lines and looks will be like they belong there, in your Caprice. You could do that and then ditch the factory console shifter for a B&M. Take the lever off the column but don't mess with anything else on the old column shift.  
idrivejunk

Luke476 Luke476
Posted: 01/05/11
06:35 PM

if anyone has an 80's monte, could you take a picture of underneath the floor shifter where everything hooks up, where the transmission linkage is and if the indicator on the cluster moves by linkages from the column..to the transmission  

-83MONTESS- -83MONTESS-
User | Posts: 86 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 01/05/11
08:44 PM

I put a B&M Z Gate ratchet shifter in my Monte over the summer. Im away from home til saturday so I could take pics of it then if you still need them. It was very easy with the stock bench seats and all. The main thing is gettin the cable right but im sure you know that.  

Luke476 Luke476
Posted: 01/08/11
07:57 AM

Ok perfect thanks, ill wait for some pictures. So did you just leave all your column shift linkages still in place to make the gear indicator work on the dash and then just add in the floor shift lever aswell?  

-83MONTESS- -83MONTESS-
Posted: 01/08/11
05:33 PM

I removed the linkages because the plastic boot/cover for the shifter has the indicators on it. Im hoping to swap in my new 3:73s this tonight or tomarow and get pics while im under there but I cant move my car with the ice in my driveway lol! The Z Gate fits perfect with my bench seats I just had to put the passenger side(or whatever is the longest seat) back one or two steps and its one of the cheapest so I would look at that. Sorry about the delay but my car really wont move!!!  

Luke476 Luke476
Posted: 01/09/11
07:57 AM

ok no problem, i have lots of time. Because at the moment my car is in 1000 pieces lol. No steering, suspension, The whole front end is off it, all I have is just a bare frame (restoration) But when the time comes to drop in the fresh engine/trans I just wanted to know how to set it up.

So you removed the linkage because you preferred to see the linkage on the shifter. But otherwise, if you kept the column linkage in, then it would work right? Using the column linkage and floor shift linkage together. You have a 700r4 right?  

-83MONTESS- -83MONTESS-
06:45 PM

I currently have a TH400 but I did have a 700R4 before that. I do plan on doin the rear end swap this upcoming weekend so I can get pics. I didnt mess with the column linkages I just took them out because I didnt think it would be worth the time to make them work with the floor shifter. One thing I did fail to remember was the reverse light switch in the column lol.  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 1375 | Joined: 12/09
09:41 PM

Icon Quote-83MONTESS-:
I currently have a TH400 but I did have a 700R4 before that. I do plan on doin the rear end swap this upcoming weekend so I can get pics. I didnt mess with the column linkages I just took them out because I didnt think it would be worth the time to make them work with the floor shifter. One thing I did fail to remember was the reverse light switch in the column lol.

The reverse swith is in the transmission,,, driver side 2 wires.

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

alittle1 alittle1
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 01/13/11
03:06 PM

Luke,

Why not just mount a Lokar shifter for your particular transmission on top of the tranny with it sticking through the floor. Lokar makes a neutral starting switch and a reverse back-up light setup for each one of its shifters that it makes. Check out their web site and you will find lots of ideas for your project. The bulk of their business is for street rods, but you can adapt their ideas to your car. Consoles aren't that hard to make for your car, check out some of the street rodders sites.  

XAmish XAmish
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/15/11
02:07 PM

Ok i did this to my 66 chevy c10, and like you wanted a simple shifter on the floor. Mr. Gasket makes a real nifty and cheap shifter conversion kit check it out and let me know. mine was for a 350Turbo 3-speed and I love it. and also if you want to change the handle to a Hurst thats another option.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last