Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Advice on Starting a New Business - DIY Garage

HotDysh HotDysh
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/28/10
07:43 PM

Hey-

I am looking to start a business in the Twin Cities, which would be a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) garage which would be a location where the general public would be able to perform their own vehicle maintenance at a reasonable price. It would have a variety of garages which could be rented hourly or daily where you could do work. The garage would have a variety of maintenance bays, specialty tools (car lifts, wheel balancing, diagnostic), tools (wrenches, air compressors, welding, vacuum, etc.), free WiFi and a common area for ordering parts, looking at How To videos/instructions and have a small parts office. This would be somewhere in the Twin Cities area.

I was just wondering if anyone would use this and if so which things they liked the best, how often you would use it, and what you would use it for. This is all just to get some research to get a description and figure out exactly what I was going to do. Thanks for any help and let me know if you have any questions.  

chrisnnebraska chrisnnebraska
New User | Posts: 23 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 11/28/10
11:19 PM

I covered this on your other post for this subject but, I'll give you the basic idea here too. Call a insurance agent and you'll find-out the problems with this type of business.  
Go Fast Turn Left..
Taylor Racing Fan Page on Facebook..  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-Racing/301029283402

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 594 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 11/29/10
12:14 AM

i totally agree.. you won't be able to afford.. if you could get an insurance policy written for this...

it was tried about 30 years ago...  failed .. do to the costs...  theft of tools... and 99% percent of the General public NOT knowing which end of a wrench to hold. (other than to put it in their pocket).   when i say.. 99% of the general public.. i am not counting readers of these magazines..  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Enthusiast | Posts: 388 | Joined: 04/10
03:26 PM

i agree, too much liability.  i think some body shops will rent out spraybooth time though.    heres an idea i've been tossing around. a one stop solar shop. a place that stocks parts, does some installation, diagnosis, etc. of course i'll need some schooling, lol.  once the technology becomes a little cheaper, i think you'll see more of these shops open up.  a $5-7,000.00, investment by a homeowner would pay for itself in 2 years easy.  imagine not having an electric bill, & possibly getting a check from them for the power you sell them. Cool  

gettnlarge01 gettnlarge01
Guru | Posts: 1505 | Joined: 11/09
04:22 PM

the money would be better invested in lottery tickets. Your under the assumptation all people are honest and knowledgeable  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

skyeking skyeking
User | Posts: 243 | Joined: 11/09
04:32 PM

Hi There,
A car wash and expert polish facility with all work pre-Paid in Cash only would
be a safer and more profitable enterprise..
Have seen your idea crash because of liabity claims against

the proprietor and owners with shonkies who prey on this kind of business.
 Alternatively keep your money in your pocket.. ALL the best..Skyeking Cool  
skyeking

skyeking skyeking
User | Posts: 243 | Joined: 11/09
04:32 PM

Hi There,
A car wash and expert polish facility with all work pre-Paid in Cash only would
be a safer and more profitable enterprise..
Have seen your idea crash because of liabity claims against

the proprietor and owners with shonkies who prey on this kind of business.
 Alternatively keep your money in your pocket.. ALL the best..Skyeking Cool  
skyeking

460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC 460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC
Guru | Posts: 1163 | Joined: 10/03
Posted: 11/30/10
10:05 AM

To make the idea work, you'd need to set it up as either a club or a school.

The advantages of setting it up as a club would include: (a) the ability to charge an up-front deposit or membership fee (think: motorsports clubs, country clubs, health and fitness clubs), (b) a good means for screening out scammers and incompetent morons, (c) improved member loyalty (you're less likely to rip off something you've joined and invested in), (d) better control of obtaining enforceable liability releases, (e) more attractive to insurance companies because they understand clubs better, (f) easier to take advantage of tax laws benefitting "non-profit" groups (the club could still pay healthy salaries to its leaders and "pros") (g) better control over who enters the work areas of the building.

The advantages of setting it up as a school are similar.

Note that some garage machinery (lifts, balancers, tire machines, etc.) requires training prior to safe use.  So there's going to be a need for "pros" to do training and supervision. However, none of this stuff is very hard to use.

Other equipment, such as welders and auto body equipment, has a steeper learning curve and more risk.  These types of equipment probably fit in better with a school plan.  

Renting tools is widely done. You've got to charge enough of a deposit to cover the risks of theft, loss and breakage, and charge enough rental to "amortize" replacement of the tools. And you've got to be fastidious about marking everything and keeping track of serial/inventory numbers.   Smaller hand tools are harder to rent than the big stuff because loss, theft and breakage risks are higher and what people will pay is lower. Still, if auto parts stores can loan or rent hand tools without losing their shirts, there must be some money in it.

The idea of subleasing garage space and providing security to serious gearheads might be a better way to go with the club/school plan.  While the risks and investment required would be higher than a mini-storage or a single tenant garage, there might be some money to be made targeting the segment of D-I-Y mechanics who are building complete project cars. I'd have ownership of the building and grounds in a wholly separate company from the leasing/security company.

A third way might be to have pros do all the dangerous stuff, but let club members/school students (after signing releases and forking over the necessary deposits) do more of the mundane stuff with their own tools.  
--------------------------------
460_BBF_Turbo-in-CC (formerly Dr511scj) "This guy has no life other than posting endlessly on carcraft.com." -- Car Craft, July 2005
-------
October 1, 2003: " I'm thinking a couple of...turbos, blowing through an old Powerstroke intercooler...on a Super Cobra Jet-head 460 would be mad cheap and make sick power."
-------
"I have no problem with your...talking to several versions of yourself...or pointing out our failure to do a turbo story ...." --Douglas "CC/Rambler" Glad

gettnlarge01 gettnlarge01
Guru | Posts: 1505 | Joined: 11/09
01:53 PM

getting hooked-up with clubs is a great idea but like a gym memebership you want to have a contract for the length time that'd have to pay or you run the risk of having an empty building with no money coming in  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

Budnicks Budnicks
Enthusiast | Posts: 676 | Joined: 10/10
02:42 PM

I think there is a form of LLC & LLP (Limited Liability Company/Partnership)that would work & keep your personal liability out of the equation(there are cd-rom software on this subject). Incorporate at the least. Also a "not for profit" tax shelter with the principals taking a salary. Make it a church for Gearheads praying to the Horse Power Gods Ha Ha Ha LOL, Hire a lawyer specialized in business law for consulting there may be a way to do it like the Wyotech, ASE, Lincln Tech. type of format if the liability was that high they couldn't do it, you need to be creative, do alot of research. Good luck if you want it bad enough you can do anything.  Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"

64wagon 64wagon
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 12/03/10
12:51 PM

The Army and most military installations (Navy, AirForce) have a auto craft shop which does everything you mentioned in the first post.  First time users have to read and sign a user agreement.  Repeated users just sign in, the sign in sheet is also your tool sign out sheet.  The rates are $3 per hour for the flat bays and $4 for a lift.  There are a few shop worker which over see and help anyone with issues.

Later Ryan  
289 Ford with Dual TBI, LS2 coils, T5 trans, IRS  just some small stuff.

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 594 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 12/04/10
07:49 PM

but wait....

check this out...    somebody has started one up......

www.diygarageca.com

check out the rates..

http://www.diygarageca.com/rates/  

Budnicks Budnicks
Enthusiast | Posts: 676 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 12/05/10
10:45 PM

Yeh I saw that over at HotRod forum. I wonder if same guy? 3836bbl/Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"

DIYgarageCA DIYgarageCA
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/07/10
03:00 PM

Nope, different person!  But that's what we DO>>

D.I.Y. Garage: Do-It-Yourself

We provide the space, lifts and tools for you to Do-It-Yourself.

Lifted/Non-lifted Bay rentals, basic and specialty tools available.

Reasonable rates and on hand ASE-certified Mechanic to help you with all your auto repair needs.

Check www.diygarageca.com for more info, rates and hours

D.I.Y. GARAGE
2312 Auto Park Way
Escondido, CA

DIYgarageCA.com

squarebackjalopy squarebackjalopy
User | Posts: 221 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 12/11/10
05:07 AM

step one... MARRY INTO MONEY!!!  
`

It may not be the fastest or prettiest, but i can pretend