Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

2.4 ENGINE

DennyD DennyD
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/25/10
08:55 PM

Confused Howdy,
I am replacing my 2.4 2000 Pontiac Sunfire engine. Would Anyone know if a 1998 2.4 Cavalier engine would fit?  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Guru | Posts: 1041 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 08/25/10
09:56 PM

Call a local salvage yard. They have an interchange book.  
idrivejunk

55Guy 55Guy
Enthusiast | Posts: 444 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/27/10
07:08 AM

They were basically the same car with some different sheetmetal, the engine should interchange with no problem since it's a Chevrolet/GM corporate engine.  

gettnlarge01 gettnlarge01
Guru | Posts: 1505 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 08/27/10
02:33 PM

I know GM made some changes year to year but cant answer your question  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

DennyD DennyD
Posted: 09/05/10
09:21 AM

Ok, Thanks  

DennyD DennyD
09:22 AM

Blush Okie, Dokie. Thanks  

DennyD DennyD
09:23 AM

Ooo Will Do. Thanks  

DennyD DennyD
09:24 AM

Smile Alright, Thanks a lot.  

Viresh Viresh
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/13/10
06:02 AM

We definitely do and let you know by our feedback.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 594 | Joined: 08/09
09:27 PM

somebody else ask a similar question... this is part of the answer i piled together in a big heap..

the 2.4 dual overhead cam motors came in a LOT of gm front wheel drive cars....

so you have help your self junk yards....  

full service junk yards...

new from GM

there are a lot of engine rebuilders that have these also...

if you are swapping to the 2.4 from the 2.2... you will need to buy a complete car for the swap to save money...

there are a LOT of differences... so you will need significant numbers of parts to make it run... and it will probably need to come from a 96 model... not anything earlier..  or you may have problems accessing the computer with a scan tool.... do to differences in connectors under the dashboard...

what are you planning????

if you pick up a used motor ....    you might before you put it in... want to pull the front timing cover and replace the chain driven water pump.....   if the motor has a lot of miles on it...    you might want to do not just the water pump... but swap on a new head gasket... and use hylomar on both sides of the head gasket..... that is one of the major failure points on a 2.4...  i hate having to do a head gasket twice... don't you.???

there are several GM power books from the 90's on building that motor up to serious levels of power...

there might even be a few... in one of the magazines on this site... yep!!!

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/oldsmobile_quad_4_combining_parts/index.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0907_gm_ecotec_bolt_ons/index.html

http://quad4rods.com/

this link has some good info

http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/GM_Quad-4_engine

text from this link

The Quad 4 (called Twin Cam after 1995) was a DOHC and SOHC straight-4 automobile engine produced by General Motors' Oldsmobile division. It was a modern engine for the time, but was criticized for roughness as well as its longevity. Many Quad 4 engines did not see over 120,000 miles due to connecting rod issues. Balance shafts were added in 1995, also known as a transitional year from the Quad 4 to the renamed TWIN CAM variant, in 1996 2.4L (LD9) the complete engine makeover was accomplished. The name is derived from the engine's four cylinders and four valve per cylinder layout. There was a single overhead camshaft variant that was produced for a brief time. The Quad 4 used an iron block and an aluminum head. The Quad 4 debuted in 1987 and was replaced after 2001 by the Ecotec. Quad 4 engines were produced at GM's Delta Engine Plant (Plant 5) in Delta Township, Michigan. In recent years, it has gained a minor following in hot rodding circles as a period style engine (which looks like a 1930's Offenhauser twin cam unit).

Contents
[hide]
1 Quad OHC
2 LD2
3 1995
4 LG0
5 W41
6 LD9
7 External links
8 Technical Issues
9 See also

Quad OHC
A SOHC variant of the Quad 4 was intended to replace the Tech IV. Debuting in 1992, this Quad OHC was an 8-valve engine and produced 120 hp (89 kW), 40 hp (30 kW) less than a Quad 4 from the same era. Torque was 140 ft·lbf (190 N·m). Although power and economy were much better than the pushrod Tech IV, the Quad OHC was retired after 1994 when the DOHC version became standard.

LD2
The LD2 was the standard version of the Quad 4. The LD2 was the first incarnation of the Quad 4. It is known as the low output version of the Quad 4 when compared to the LGO or High Output Quad 4. There was a transitional version of the LD2 in 1995.

For 1995, a balance shaft-equipped version of the 2.3 L version was produced. A clever arrangement ensured a constant load on the shafts: The crank drove one shaft, which drives the second, which drives the oil pump. However, the shafts spun at twice the engine rpm, forcing the redline to be reduced from 6800 to 6500 rpm. Output was 150 hp and 150 ft·lb. This was the only Quad 4 family engine produced in 1995. This was known as a transitional year for the engine family. Applications:

1995 Pontiac Sunfire GT
1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE
1995 Oldsmobile Achieva

LG0
The High-Output 2.3 L LG0 version produced 180 hp (134 kW) from 1990 to 1992, and 175 hp (130 kW) in 1993 and 1994. Major changes included a higher volume intake manifold, and more aggressive camshafts. Applications:

1990-1991 Oldsmobile 442
1990-1993 Chevrolet Beretta GTZ, 180 hp (134 kW)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26, 170 hp (127 kW)
1989-1994 Pontiac Grand Am
1990-1991 Pontiac Grand Prix
1989-1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais and Supreme
1992-1994 Oldsmobile Achieva SC

W41
The W41 version was the highest-output Quad 4 at 190 hp (142 kW) in 1991 and 1992, and 185 hp (138 kW) in 1993. The additional 10hp came from longer duration cams and a different PROM. Applications:

1991 Oldsmobile 442
1992-1993 Oldsmobile Achieva SCX

LD9
The LD9 Twin Cam was a 2.4 L Quad 4 variant with balance shafts, debuting in 1996. Bore was decreased from 92 mm to 90 mm and stroke increased from 85 mm to 94 mm for better torque, and power was increased to 150 hp (112 kW). This engine received a minor update halfway through the 1999 model year that eliminated the EGR, increased the compression ratio from 9.5:1 to 9.7:1, and switched from low impedance fuel injectors to high impedance. Applications:

1996-2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
1996-2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT
1996-2001 Pontiac Grand Am
1996-1998 Oldsmobile Achieva
1999-2001 Oldsmobile Alero
1997-1999 Chevrolet Malibu

External links
Quad4Forums.com
Yahoo group QuadFourm mailing list

Technical Issues
This entire section does not cite reliable and notable references or sources.
You can help Wikipedia by introducing appropriate citations.
The Quad 4 was plagued with blown headgasket issues almost from the introduction of the engine. The problems primarily arose from the fact that the cylinder head was built from aluminum and the block from cast iron, which caused the two parts of the engine to heat unevenly. At approximately 80,000 miles the headgasket would begin to leak, and despite numerous redesigned headgaskets, the engine would begin to leak and progress to engine overheating. This could account for a lack of early Quad 4 engines still in operation today. A blown headgasket can be identified by white smoke exiting from the exhaust pipe and an oily residue in the coolant return tank next to the radiator. Once the headgasket was replaced by a quality aftermarket piece, the engine proved reliable. Victor-Reinz was the OEM gasket supplier, Fel-Pro is the preferred aftermarket gasket maker. Engines identified by the Twin Cam label currently haven't earned the earlier reputation of the Quad4. The Quad4 had many cases where users would experience a failure of the timing chain around 70,000 miles with no history of abuse. Timing failure lead as one of the highest occurring problems with the Quad4. This is due to a poorly spec'ed chain which was longer than the typical chain GM used. The extended length was due to it being a single loop that linked both cams. Most V6's would use two separate and shorter chains to connect to the cams. The failure of the timing chain wasn't seen as a huge problem to the general consumer but a high number of cases are reported daily to aftermarket timing component companies (Call Cloyes for verification).

and i know there is at least one article on rebuilding the 2.4 quad 4...   what fits what...  

you might look at the section i posted in bold....   and note that there is a slight difference between engines with and without EGR...  

waynep7122 waynep7122
09:30 PM

here is another section..

yes...    but you have to stick with the 96 to 2002 models from a car with the 8th digit is a ***

there are so many differences in the 2.4 quad 4 motors...   you have to stick with the same  model engine... VIN T.....

you will need a motor from a VIN T car... 1996 through 2002...

here are the various casting numbers... in a list...

quad four casting numbers by year and vin

here is the full article..

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2485/rebuilding_the_gm_quad_4.aspx

there are places to get reman engines...  gm will have a stash of these new.. and possibly reman also....

you can find a junk yard with a network...  they have a radio and a tellatype system set up for parts finding between junk yards....   i would not install a used motor without spending the time ... pulling the front cover.. installing a new water pump... pulling the head and installing a new head gasket with a coating of hylomar..

there are also engine core suppliers around the nation that may have some of these engines in CORE form.. that have been removed and are dirty.. ready for rebuilding... not runnable..  this is the basis for many rebuild motors or some of the parts that are used in rebuilt motors..

you have posted the same question before...

that model also came with other motors...

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier: Available engines
4 Cylinders 4 2.2L SFI OHV
4 Cylinders T 2.4L SFI DOHC

1996 Buick Skylark: Available engines
6 Cylinders M 3.1L SFI OHV

1996 Pontiac Sunfire: Available engines
4 Cylinders 4 2.2L SFI OHV

1996 Pontiac Grand Am: Available engines

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva: Available engines

most of these models had the 2,.4 VIN T motors available through 2002...

since your cavalier was also available with a 2.2 motor... if you can find a complete wrecked 2.2 car.. from 96 or newer... you should be able to swap all the parts over to make yours run again....  the engine..  motor mounts.. complete engine control wiring harness...  and complete exhaust.. will have to be swapped.. might as well do the transmission also... as there are differences in the stall speed of the torque converter...  the torque converters are swappable...   each torque converter has a plastic tag on it.. describes exactly what converter it is...

the worst case...  is just writing off your car...   spending the money on another that runs...  or put it on NON OPERATION.. so the registration fees will not continue to add up... until you find a motor...

but again.. it might come down to EGR or no EGR... and that will turn on the check engine light and reduce power and fuel economy ... so be careful on what you have and what you are thinking about putting in...

the hollander interchange that IDJ is a great place to look also..

i just don't have a hollander interchange manual to study ...  

waynep7122 waynep7122
09:49 PM

one last thing......  if your engine is just running rough....   not loosing coolant or compression...

rip the coil pack assembly off...  tear it apart...   examine the coils for signs of high voltage leakage... examine the bottoms of the holes in the cap... under the springs.. look for discoloration.. and burning...

examine the spark plug boots...

these coil packs...    spark plug boots...   HAVE to be assembled with a thin coating of dielectric tune up grease to prevent high voltage leaks along the sides of the various insulators...

DO NOT use dielectric tune up grease on the spark plug threads...  use spark plug antiseize...
if you do.. you will not get the spark plugs out without damaging the threads in the head..

dielectric tune up grease has dissolved sand in it.. get it hot.. squeeze it... the sand becomes sand again.. locks up tight...

preventing high voltage arcing is one of the things that dielectric tune up grease is designed for..  it had thermal properties that allow the ignition modules to transfer the heat generated by the switching of the voltage to charge the coils to the distributer housing so it can be radiated to the air stream..  without it under a module.. the module will overheat and the electronics will lift off the circuit board keeping more heat in them until they fail...

backstory..  in a shop i worked at.. the bosses kept putting new caps and coils on this one quad 4 car.. it would last about 6 weeks... i kept telling them to use this dielectric tune up grease... eventually.. they let me put a new set on..   it never acted up again..   i did find plastic flash at the bottom of the holes under the springs on top of the coils... this created a spot to arc also.. created a LOT of heat and burned through to the conductor next to it..

just thought you should know...

you can verify head gaskets and combustion chamber sealing with just a few items before tear down. if you need instructions .. post...  

chevypower82091 chevypower82091
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/25/13
12:27 AM

no because GM switch the LD9 2.4i block  knock sensor there will two different knock sensors one built 1996-99 is without the cord which is one wire leading to it and the other  that was built after 2000-up has two wires built on to the sensor. trust me my dad had his replace at auto repair shop and didn't know tell 6 yrs after the fact. when I was replacing the water pump I saw the knock sensor just hanging off the block and it doesn't fit because the dumb asses got the wrong block. I was think taking it in and have the GM make the two wire knock sensor work with the computer someone told me that it would cost more than $850.00 be careful when replacing the block it would affect the cars performance if one sensor not doing its job and it would cost you a new engine. and there's a another thing to make shore that your engine does have or it doesn't have the EGR Valve System some didn't came equip with and some did.  

68scott385 68scott385
Enthusiast | Posts: 669 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 08/25/13
11:00 AM

Another 3 year old thread dug up by a first-timer.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

johns98Z24 johns98Z24
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/29/14
10:29 AM

Yes a 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 - 2.4 would drop in correctly & bolt in correctly. I have a 98 Z24 that has the 2.4 motor in it, but when i got the car the motor was seized up, the 5 speed manual tranny was junk & the clutch was too far gone. i purchased a 2000 sunfire gt 2.4 liter to replace seized motor. I tore the gt motor apart & rebuilt it to a bit more fun. but anyways yes the motors can swap out. any questions give me a shout, i'll walk you through the process step by step. I'm a GM Mechanic, so i can walk you through the process, explain & give you actually hands on photos of some  of my work. BEFORE you do this project though I hope you know that removing a 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 motor is no small task, its not a job for a person with little experience - also people with no experience will be way out of their league with this motor tear down