Mark VII Brake Conversion

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Mark VII Brake Conversion

dbltap64 dbltap64
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/29/10
11:06 AM

I have a 1986 Lincoln Mark VII that needs the ABS brake system replaced.  I have heard you can convert the ABS over to regular power brakes from Mustang parts.  If this is true, I need to find some info and a list of parts needed to do this conversion. Thanks.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 594 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/29/10
01:10 PM

i don't know which would be closer...  crown victoria/mercury marquis or thunderbird/cougar/mustang parts..

you will have to supply vacuum from a fitting on the intake manifold...  as the antilock on that car is self powered...

there are a few things to check...

and those are really really expensive to buy parts for .. but not that hard to fix...

there are 2 power relays that can go bad....   the brake fluid sensors in the cap can turn the system off if the fluid level is low...   the motor can burn out...   the pressure switches go bad...

i think i saw an article on doing this swap somewhere in one of the magazines..    it might have been done on a turbo or supercharged Tbird...     check back later tonight... or tomorrow..... i will look around.. and some of the other guys may find it before i ***

you will need the power booster with bracket and brake master off the donor car..  the brake lines to the compo valve and the lines from that..    i don't know if the pedal is different...  you might want to measure up from the bottom to the point where the rod connects... and to the top if you can reach it..  or since you have the booster out.. just take the donor  pedal with you...

here is one link that explains how the antilock system works..

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/abs-system.html

the lincoln forums web site had a short thread about using the 86 mustang SVO power brake booster , lines and combo valve... to directly replace your unit...

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/c19/50-9302/image/8/

http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=282

copy start

I want to convert the ABS brake system over to standard mechanical brakes.  Does anyone know what master cylinder assembly, etc I need to use.  My neighbor has had this done on the same car (he moved).

hey hows it going if im corect u need the master cyclender off a 84 to 86 svo mustang to change it over but not sure on the lincoln town car brakes yet

Car I drive:Modded Mark VII How did you find out about us?:OldSchool1
 Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:52 PM
Hmmm, is this want you are wanting to do?

Let's see, you can buy everything new, which I highly recommend, since we are talking about brakes. You have to buy the SVO Brake Booster and Master Cylinder. The proportional valve in mine, came out of a 1986 GT, as well as the brake lines. You will have to buy two brass fittings, which you should be able to see in the 2nd picture (one goes to the front master cylinder line and the other is in the proportional valve). In my pictures I didnt have it installed yet, but you will also need an Adjustable Proportional Valve to lessen the pressure to the fronts to bring to the rear brakes. Other than that, it takes up alot less room, so you can show off your valve covers and/or headers.

I will say this, you may have to upgrade your cam, as you need to make boost to get the pressure in the booster. Even from my setup, the brakes seem to fade after about 6-7 pumps on the brake pedal. Like if you are crawling to the red light from a distance pumping or riding the brakes...I dont worry for two things, 1) I have cross drilled up front and slotted in the rear, which helps tremedously and 2) since I have a stick, I can pump the pressure back up with a quick blip of the throttle.

end copy...