Car Craft
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Correct HEI Ignition wiring??? *Help!!!*

jstew23 jstew23
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/16/10
11:13 PM

After reviewing how I once converted my GM points style distributor to a HEI on my 68 Pontiac Firebird, I called into question my current setup.  As it stands, i have a pink/yellow wire coming from the firewall spliced into a blue wire which connects to the R (relay) terminal on the starter (I did notice seperate red and blue wires which were cut and lead to nothing, possibly the old coil from when it was setup as a points style distributor?). These two wires were joined together along with a new balck 12g wire which I then fed to the 86 pin on a 30 amp relay.  Basically, i used this to supply power to the distributor.

From here the relay is grounded using the 85 pin.  The 30 pin is then connected to the battery post on the starter along with the positive battery cable.  The 87 pin completes the relay and connects to the "batt" terminal on the HEI.  

Today I noticed this weird combo and decided to cut the connection of all three wires (pink/yellow, blue, and [new] black [to 86 pin]). Once complete I used a butt connector to hook up the new 12g black wire to the pink/yellow wire and completely removed the blue wire previously hooked up to the R (relay) terminal on starter.  After removing this wire the car started just fine.  Is this a potential problem?

Also i noticed a fairly large gauged pinkish-brown wire coming from the firewall that is hooked up to the S(solenoid) terminal on the starter, what is this for?

Does anyone know what color wire from the firewall i am supposed to splice into to power the HEI.  

ethelkilledfred-#001 ethelkilledfred-#001
Enthusiast | Posts: 562 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 03/17/10
01:14 AM

Wiring for Typical Points Ignition System
Points Wire

Wiring for Typical HEI Ignition System
Hei Wire  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

gettnlarge01 gettnlarge01
Guru | Posts: 1505 | Joined: 11/09
04:09 AM

very nice ekf  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Guru | Posts: 1050 | Joined: 12/09
05:28 AM

+1  
idrivejunk

trpositd trpositd
User | Posts: 70 | Joined: 11/05
12:06 PM

EKF,

I noticed in the "Typical HEI Ignition System" diagram that you have one wire with two different arrows pointing to it, the wire going to the starter:

one label says "Resistor bypass wire often 20 gauge yellow" and the other label says "These wires and this terminal are now unused".

If this wire is now unused, then you have no connection going to the starter.  

mpayne mpayne
Enthusiast | Posts: 262 | Joined: 02/08
01:13 PM

Thanks for helping out EFK.  

02:32 PM

Icon Quotetrpositd:
EKF,

I noticed in the "Typical HEI Ignition System" diagram that you have one wire with two different arrows pointing to it, the wire going to the starter:

one label says "Resistor bypass wire often 20 gauge yellow" and the other label says "These wires and this terminal are now unused".

I got those off line, but yes you no longer use those wires. Those wires are to bypass the ign resistor wire during start up so you get a full 12 volts. HEI prefer 12 volts or higher to run correctly. The resistor wire usually has only 8 volts making the HEI not perform as good as it could.

QUOTE trpositd/USERNAME- If this wire is now unused, then you have no connection going to the starter./QUOTE

You still have the starter wire going to the other post on your stater, it is not shown cause this is an ignition diagram not a starting diagram.  
-

BSR-International

jstew23 jstew23
10:04 PM

Today i looked at the bulkhead connector and found a pink wire coming from the firewall. Using a butt connector, i spliced into this wire and hooked it to the "batt" terminal on the HEI, will this provide the required constant 12 volts?

Also, i no longer have any wire going to the R (relay) post on the starter, is that correct?  

10:33 PM

Icon Quotejstew23:
Today i looked at the bulkhead connector and found a pink wire coming from the firewall. Using a butt connector, i spliced into this wire and hooked it to the "batt" terminal on the HEI, will this provide the required constant 12 volts?

Also, i no longer have any wire going to the R (relay) post on the starter, is that correct?

One way to make sure you have 12 volts is to use a relay. Use a test light to make sure the wire you have is not constant, but is activated when the key is on and deactivated when the key is off or you will not be able to shut your car down.

Another way is to use a volt meter to see if you have a true 12 volt wire, and make sure it is key activated again.  
-

BSR-International

jstew23 jstew23
Posted: 03/18/10
06:47 PM

I just noticed that the pink wire i tapped into to supply power to the HEI says "resistance do not cut."  

Doesn't that mean that this wire should not be used?  If so, where do i get my required constant 12v?  Would i go to the ignition switch and run a 12g wire straight to the HEI?  

07:02 PM

the fusebox normaly has extra legs to pull power from that are activitated by the switch  

jstew23 jstew23
07:10 PM

Is removing the bulkhead connector on the firewall i bad idea?  Is this difficult?  Any precautions i should be aware of?  

07:19 PM

Not difficult but take your time and be careful not to pull or loosen any of the pins in the bulkhead.This could lead to other power problems because the pins wont make good connection  

LightningBoy LightningBoy
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 03/10
07:24 PM

If you look towards the bottom of the HEI wiring schematic there is a side note  that tells you to run an alternative wire from your fuse panel.Look on your fuse panel and you should have a fuse terminal labeled "IGN".Tap into this circuit via a fuse tap and run this wire to the distributor terminal labeled "BATT".This will supply your distributor with a 12 volt source that is only hot when the ignition switch is in the on position.Be sure to use a good 12g wire.As for the wires labeled "No longer used" on the schematic,this is true,they were used for the old points type distributor and no longer serve a purpose.On your starter solenoid you have 3 terminals,one for the battery cable,and two smaller ones,one labeled "S" and one labeled "R".The only ones you now need are the battery cable and your starter signal wire connected to the "S" terminal.Thats it! Wink  

07:31 PM

+1  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last