Car Craft
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Getting more power out of a 307 Olds engine

nottrndy nottrndy
New User | Posts: 20 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 12/08/09
12:00 PM

I'm just curious if anyone out there knows how to get more power out of a 307 Olds. Not making a race car, but I would like some more power. As most people I'm on a tight budget. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.  

TommyG71 TommyG71
New User | Posts: 43 | Joined: 09/09
07:27 PM

just get a 350 even stock its better than the 307. i am on a seriuos budget also . why spend parts on something you may not be satisfied with? spend the money for the 350 put that in and upgrade as you drive it . in highschool a buddy of mine had a bone stock 71 cutlass, a cam intake and headers turned it into a tire shredder  

gettnlarge01 gettnlarge01
Guru | Posts: 1505 | Joined: 11/09
08:02 PM

The 307 is anemic and really not worth spending money on. Upgrades are the basic free flowing exhaust,intake,cam and carb like most engines  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

nottrndy nottrndy
Posted: 12/09/09
05:13 AM

Thanks for the input. Are you refering to a 350 Olds? Will the accessory brackets, motor mounts and all that stuff transfer over? Or will I have to get all new parts for that? That is basically the expense I'm trying to avoid. Don't worry about your Chevy powered Pontiac. Mine is an Olds powered Chevy. Mine came from factory that way. Thanks again.  

squarebackjalopy squarebackjalopy
User | Posts: 221 | Joined: 01/07
09:51 AM

I Had a nicely  build 307Olds. It was built by Golen Engine Service out of Holden NH.
http://www.golenengineservice.com/
I Beat the SNOT outa that thing for 110K miles before i up graded to a ZZ4. Chad the owner of the company (and his staff) are Great guys. They will answer any question you have whether you have one of his engines or not.
My 307 had a nice cam in it is had the compression bumped up to 9:1. I'm sure if you called him he would tell you which cam it is. I'll try digging up which one it is.

I would recommend upgrading to a 350 Olds or a 350 Chevy but if you have your heart set on building that 307, then do it.
There is a company out there that can re-flash the EMC for more performance, and there a company dedicated to Olds motors called Mondello Performance, This guy built a 307 that made something like 500hp!

http://www.mondellotwister.com/

oh and to get that 307 running great again change ALL, and I mean ALL of the vac hoses, every year. You will be amazed at the difference it makes

Good Luck  
`

It may not be the fastest or prettiest, but i can pretend

nottrndy nottrndy
11:50 AM

Thanks for the leads. Its not that I'm so in love with this engine. I'm just trying to get the most bang for the buck. I know what you mean about the vacuum hoses. I've eliminated about 90% of them and what's left is all new.  

HotRods442 HotRods442
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
01:58 PM

If you want to learn about Olds motors, go to 442.com, there's great articles in the tech section. Yes, a 350R (olds) will bolt right in, no changes whatsoever. And while I agree that power can be had in the 307, yours is a 'windowed' motor, and is considerably weaker physically than a '68-'76 350. Do the Junkyard Crawl and find a '68-'72 350 with #5,6,or 7 heads, and you will be much happier in the end. Go to: http://mailman.emwd.com/mailman/listinfo/oldsgmail_mailman.emwd.com and join the OldsGmail mailing list and get answers to all your questions about all things Olds...
HotRod  
HotRod
1980 Olds W-30 442
myspace.com/HotRods442

nottrndy nottrndy
03:00 PM

I appreciate everyones input. It looks like I'm going to be looking for a 350. Will my overdrive trans hold up to it? I think its a 700r4 but I haven't really looked.  

Posted: 12/10/09
03:14 AM

It should be a 200-4r tranny backed up by a 8.5 10-bolt rear end, most likely stuffed with 2.73 gears. But if your wagon was originally a hearse you might have a different ratio like 2.90, 3.08, or maybe even 3.23's.

My stock 200-4r took the abuse of my built 307 for many years with out a problem. Then I up graded to a BowTie Overdrive Stage 2 200-4r which will take 5x what you could throw at it with a 307.

I would defiantly recommend changing the gears to 3.42. I did that when I still had the stock 307 and I got much better gas mileage, like 3-4mpg better. I didn't have to keep the pedal to the floor to get around town and they are great on the high way. I know after I put in the ZZ4 I was knocking down 17mpg at 85mph with the 3.42's! Now I have 4.11's and the wagon screws but I am only getting about 12-13mpg on the highway now.

Oh and I still have to send you those photos of the x-member.  
`

nottrndy nottrndy
05:24 AM

Like I said I never really looked under it to confirm which trans I had. It was not really a hearse, my friends just call it that. 273 gears is probably right. At this point, I'm getting 20 mpg's on the highway at 75, but you're right, it takes forever to get up to that speed, and please don't get me started on trying to drive it through the mountains. Gas mileage is not a major concern as this is not my daily driver. I guess we'll see about the transmissions strength as I go along. When you changed the rear gears did you put a posi in it too?  

oldsfreak-#002 oldsfreak-#002
User | Posts: 218 | Joined: 03/09
05:15 PM

if you are looking to make it into a cheap tire burner, I would put a limited slip in it,  as for the 307, its not a bad engine at all, Ive seen 500hp at 7,000 rpm on a windowed block,  if you dont want to take the motor out, I would just do the cam, intake, and a non computer carb on it, you can get a decent cam and intake on ebay very cheap,  just remember not to buy a used cam.  
"Racing isnt a hobby, its a way of life"

nottrndy nottrndy
Posted: 12/11/09
06:25 AM

Thanks. Looking at the summit catalog, it looks like the intake for the 350 will work on the 307. Is that true? I've also been told by someone locally that headers on Olds engine tend to leak a lot. at least more than a Chevy engine does. Does everyone agree or disagree? Tire burning would be nice, but right now I would be happy getting through foothills and mountains around my house without drama.  

oldsfreak-#002 oldsfreak-#002
User | Posts: 218 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 12/12/09
01:32 PM

the posi unit can always wait,  an edelbrock, holley, or offy intake will fit on any SBO 260, 307, 350, 403, I believe the 260 has tiny intake ports tho, and as for the headers, they like to leak because the center header bolt is above the exhaust ports with nothing underneath, I know people that double up the header gaskets, and use loctite on the bolts so they wont back out, personally I would just use silicon instead of a gasket, copper RTV or even normal house hold clear window and door silicon works very nice also surprisingly, CHEAP!!!  
"Racing isnt a hobby, its a way of life"

gettnlarge01 gettnlarge01
Guru | Posts: 1505 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 12/12/09
04:30 PM

The trick to prevent header gasket leaks is to keep tightening  the header bolts for about a week after installing them. What happens is that as the gaskets heat cycle they compress which loosens the bolts and causes the gaskets to lose their seal and blow.  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

Posted: 12/13/09
08:15 AM

The first time I changed the gears I didn't put a posi in it. cause it really didn't need it,  but later on I did put in a Powertrax Lock-Right Locker after i put in the ZZ4. I managed to destroy that in about 9-10 months. When I put in the 4.10's I wanted to put in a better locker but my friend convinced me to put in a Detriot TruTrac. And i LOVE it.

My 307 never leaked even after 110K+ miles. If you are looking to putt around in the mountains it first thing I would do is change out that rear end gear. Now I have to clarify that when I had the 2.73's my wagon was only getting 5-7mpg!! Not 20mpg.  So I don't know if your mgp's will go up or down but I can guarantee that it will be happier going up the mountains...

How are you getting 20mpg's???? the car was only rated for about 16mph highway when it was brand new. You towing it behind sumthin??

Anyway I was super happy wit the 3.42's between power and gas mileage it was perfect. The only reason I switched to 4.11's is because I wasn't getting out of 2nd gear at the drag strip. Still went thru the traps a 90mph in 2nd!! So I put in 4.11's and now I get into 3rd. I just made a 200mile trip yesterday at about 75-80mph and I still knocked down 14mpg on the highway with the 4.11's.

About the Intake you have to figure out if you have 5a or 7a heads. If I remeber right there marked on the same side as the sparkplugs at the ends of the heads. I had the 7a but because your cars older you MIGHT (I'm not sure) have the 5a heads which are better than the 7a. And I would check the 442.com sight for the interchangeability of parts.

I didn't get headers on my 307 but on my ZZ4 I got copper gaskets and when I took them off for the motor swap I just used a light coat of copper gasket spray on the mating suffaces and tightened them down with out thread lock and forgot about em. I check em here and there but they just dont back out with the copper gaskets.  
`

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last