Kit car donors: T-bird, Mark-VIII, or Mustang Cobra

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Kit car donors: T-bird, Mark-VIII, or Mustang Cobra

kinguin7 kinguin7
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/30/09
12:04 AM

Well it's not a kit car per se, as it'll be completely custom designed. But long story short, I'm looking to get a car (or just the parts) in order to equip it with a drivetrain, brakes, part of the suspension, etc. I plan on having IRS, so my choices seem to be the T-Bird, Lincoln Mark-VIII. Mustang Cobras are out of my price range, but I mar be able to buy just the IRS assembly, if there's an advantage to having it over the T-Bird or similar parts. I'm in high school and going to college next year, so price must be a MINIMUM. That being said, if something really is better, I'll give it a look. Potential donors seem to be:

Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe.
3.8 L Essex Supercharged V6 (1989-1995 Super Coupe only)
4.9 L (302 cu in) Windsor 5.0 V8 (1991-1993)
4.6 L Modular V8 (1994-1997)

Mercury Cougar. Pretty much identical I think, but tell me otherwise if you think so. I believe the same engines were available, but during different years.

Lincoln Mark-VIII
Intech 4.6 L 280 hp (210 kW) V8

Parts from a Mustang Cobra. If I take this route though, I might get one of the aforementioned donors and just buy the Cobra IRS unit, if there's any advantage to having it. Does this perform better or have significantly better support than the T-bird style units?

The goal of this car is minimum weight for the best handling possible, so lighter engines would be preferable. That being said, reliability is probably the most important factor for the engines. Manual transmission is preferred, which is a knock against the Lincoln, but I'll listen if people suggest keeping the auto.

Looking for advice or any other suggestions, thanks in advance for any replies.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 594 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/30/09
05:20 PM

you might want to read up on whats been written...

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/sch/02/irs/articles/index.html?SearchSource=Group

there is a lot of information there...