Need GM engine code help

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need GM engine code help

devilzspawn devilzspawn
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/04/09
06:31 PM

I looked every where trying to find the specs behind these engine codes. The information I have is that it came out of a 1993 Caprice Police car. It has Vortec heads. The engine code that is stamped on the block reads V1210CJA and the numbers near where the casting numbers are suppose to read are in 2 dif spots but in the same area. They Read 50LG and L027. The numbers on the Intake manifold read GM 14101074 and the stamps behind the flywheel read 627 638 and on the sides of the block are stamped 627 upside down. I cant find any information on any of these numbers that match. Also, according to the nastyZ28.com website i was looking at there is no listing for the CJA suffix. Can anyone help me figure out what motor and specs this is? Plllllllleaaaassseeeee??? :P  

Pontiacman Pontiacman
Guru | Posts: 1890 | Joined: 11/07
06:48 PM

It comes up as a 1988 305 180Hp 4brl carb. and from a camaro.  
Professional hi-performance engine builder
Horsepower sells Engines and torque wins races.
Pontiacman

Pontiacman Pontiacman
06:50 PM

Oh and 1996 was the first year of the vortec.  
Pontiacman

devilzspawn devilzspawn
08:21 PM

Well i know its not a 305...im 100% positive its a 350 and it has vortec heads with the original intake manifold on it. Did any of the numbers match that you looked up? If so , do you have a link? Why isnt it coded like all the other gm small blocks ive seen? Is it possible its from a 1996 caprice? If thats the first year for Vortec heads. Cuz its def a vortec head with center bolts through the valve covers.  

devilzspawn devilzspawn
08:58 PM

I want to start working on this motor to drop in my 84 Z28 with my 5 speed and 3.73 rear end, but i dont even know what it is yet O.o   My friend bought the motor while it was still in a camaro, it was rebuilt and put in the camaro. He ended wasting the tranny to where it would only engage 2nd gear and the rear end was 16 in. off center, LOL so i scraped the car pulled the motor, and now it sits. Frown Anxious to drop it in my Z28 and rip some pavement.  

Pontiacman Pontiacman
Posted: 07/05/09
05:09 AM

Well it seems to be a 305 the 50LG is actually 5.0LG and that means it is a 305 which is a 5.0litre.
What is the block casting number on the back of the block.
Also how many intake bolt holes is there on the heads 8 or 12.
May be even list the head casting numbers.  
Pontiacman

devilzspawn devilzspawn
10:14 AM

There are no casting numbers on the heads. Maybe under the valve covers but not visable atm. But, there is 12 bolts to the intake and they are 11/16 bolts. Can u leave an e-mail and ill send you some pics of it. See if you see anything telling. Thats why i was saying, this thing isnt stamped like all the other small blocks ive seen. Where the block casting number is suppose to be it reads 50LG. And off to the side running verticle it reads L027.  

Pontiacman Pontiacman
12:00 PM

Ok 12 bolts is non vortec if it had vortec heads there would only be 8 bolts.
Yes the head casting numbers are under the valve covers.
On the older blocks the casting numbers are on the driver side and on the newer model blocks some wear in the 80's they put them on the passenger side.
Also the 627 on the side of the block is the last 3 numbers in the casting number and it is a 305 block I have one sitting on a engine stand that was also thought to be a 350 by one of my costumers.
So yes you have a 305.
Once you get the casting numbers if you want to check it out for your self you can go to www.chevymania.com  
Pontiacman

devilzspawn devilzspawn
01:57 PM

Thanks for all the info man, i appreciate it. Kinda sucks tho. My guess is im better off using the 305 out of my 84 Z28 H.O. and slapping this 600 edelbrock on it and calling it a day.

But, the car isnt getting any power. Is this a ignition switch problem? Or you think the main fusebox blew? Cuz the power windows work and the seats move with the electric motor. And the headlights work. But not getting any interior lights,sounds. And its dead when you turn the key. I traced down the fuseable links and checked them all and its all live until it comes into the cab.

Thanks again!  

Pontiacman Pontiacman
02:25 PM

Your welcome,
Ya the 1984 will be cheaper if you deside to rebuild it be cause it is a 2piece seal block and the 627 is a one piece seal and cost more.
If you need a good combo that will produce decent power for a 305 chevy build then let me know.

For your electrical question I really do not know that much about auto electrical system so I can't answer that for sure.

No problem.
anything else just ask.  
Pontiacman

kandigarry11 kandigarry11
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/30/13
10:06 AM

Hi,

I have a 305 5.0LG, it was pulled from an 88 caprice classic. I am wanting to find the year of the motor and was told that the M093627 could tell me that, is this right?  I also have another number and was wondering just what it is for, that number is L167.  I would also like to know if there is a different style of valve covers between the 305 and the 350 and if so could you explain.  

I want to rebuild this engine and drop it in my 86 GMC sierra.  The engine is a memorial to my step son who past away recently and I really want to get it right the first time.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 121 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 01/01/14
06:16 AM

if the L167 is cast in positive on the block... looks like like this.. (/)L167(\) thats the julian date...

break it up into segments..

L is December the 12th month.. L is the 12th letter of the alphabet..

16 is the 16th day of the month..

7 is the year of the decade..  67, 77, 87,  

but since your code is L167... its december 16 1987 for installation in 1988 model year cars and trucks..

on the front passenger side .. in front of the head is a number sequence with a 2 or 3 digit suffix.. that whole code code denotes the application or emission specfication of the engine..

on the back of the block.. drivers side above where the transmission bolts ON.. is the block casting number.. that and the julian date is how engine rebuilders identify what it is...

88 should have center bolt valve covers...

car and truck motors might use a slightly different timing cover.. because of different diameters of the harmonic damper..

the timing cover did change on cars when they went to the LT1 engines with OPTISPARK distributors.. this happened in probably 1991 or 1992 depending on the model.. and on 94/95 chevy trucks.. when they went to a plastic timing cover to mount the crank shaft position sensor..  the plastic timing cover vortec engines have a wider mounting surface that makes using the earlier blocks almost impossible to use in plastic timing cover vortec applications..  

kandigarry11 kandigarry11
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 01/05/14
01:17 PM

on a chevy 305 motor the timing chain and gears,where should the dots line up at? my book i have been reading is giving me two spots,camshaft sprocket is showin tdc by the intake,and sayin its #1 cylinder tdc,second one is showing bottom of camshaft pointin to the oil pan sayin #6 cylinder tdc. on my motor my camshaft dot is up towards the intake. on the crankshaft the dot is up facin the same direction. i had a compression test done on the motor and the gauge doesnt move out of the red box also need to no of any suggestion plz.  

dond1965 dond1965
User | Posts: 72 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 01/05/14
05:09 PM

usually a sb chevy times with #6 piston at firing. the dot on the cam sprocket points down. the dot on the crank sprocket points up, so they point at each other.