Oldsmobile serpentine setup

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Oldsmobile serpentine setup

oldsfreak-#002 oldsfreak-#002
User | Posts: 218 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 07/10/09
07:59 PM

I want to put a serpentive setup on my oldsmobile 403, and no im not gonna spend a butt load of money on the March kit.  I know dick miller sells a kit for like $550, I have a professional products balancer which also has a BBC pulley bolt pattern,  I was thinking of getting a set of serpentine pulleys off a chevy, but will the crank and waterpump pulleys line up on an olds? and I also want a serpentine alternator, a one wire alternator, but I dont want a huge, ugly delco 10si, wondering if there is a cheap one wire alternator out there or if you can get a one wire kit for one off of lets say and 95 grand am? I will be making all my own brackets so I can have a nice sleek compact pulley system, not something that almost sets on the inner fender like the stock set up or the March set up.  
"Racing isnt a hobby, its a way of life"

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 436 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 07/11/09
09:05 AM

since you are making your own brackets...  you control the belt alignment...

you will find one tool important...    a gates drivealign laser...  it straps to various pulleys and sights a lazer straight onto another pulley... so you can tell if they are going to line up...

the listing is halfway down this page...

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2395&location_id=4879

DriveAlign® Laser Alignment Tool   gates part number 91006  
Quickly identifies the two most common types of pulley misalignment - parallel offset and angular - that reduce belt and pulley service life and produce unwanted noise.

with the part number .. you can order it at most parts stores that can order gates belts and hoses..

if you have the ability.. you could also build one from a laser pointer and some new belt... but you have to have a complete factory drive system to properly aim it when putting it together..

you might start out with something that is hard to move forward or back ... like the alternator or the power steering pump... and see if everything will align with that.. there are a bunch of different power steering pump pulleys ... take a power steering pulley puller and wrenches to the junk yard.. pull a pile of PS pulleys with the right groove count  to start...   there are so many cars that use saginaw pumps.. you need to visit a bunch of areas of the junk yard.   not just the chevy and gm area...  dodge used them on some applications...  ford on  some also...   don't forget a paint marker...  write the vin number of the car on each pulley or part you take off...  you can use the free section of carfax to look up the make model year and engine size of the part  you took the car off of with the complete vin number..

you might also get a few crank pulleys also...  but there are limited offsets available for chevy applications..

i wonder if gm ever did a micro v belt set up for the last of the 307 olds motors used in the mid 80s gm cars...   i cannot remember.. but it would be worth looking into...  they came in full sized gm wagons and G bodys.. cadillacs rear wheel drives also...