LS1 + Crown Vic = New Caprice

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

LS1 + Crown Vic = New Caprice

Rocketman422 Rocketman422
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 04/25/09
04:57 PM

I am in Law Enforcement and have been a gearhead for forever. I own a 2003 Crown Vic Interceptor and a 1994 9C1 Caprice. In my experience with both cars I can find only one problem with each of them. The Crown Vic is too slow and they don't make the Caprice anymore. Sometime in the future I would like to fix these problems with one car. What would it take to put a LS drivetrain into a newer P71 Crown Vic. I know custom motor mounts and crossmember. But if I took the PCM and wiring harness and everything with the LS motor and trans what else would be left. Is the CV antilock brakes controlled by its PCM or a stand alone unit? What else am I not figuring into the equation? With any luck the Government bailout of GM and slumping SUV sales will make them get back into the police car market for real with a V8, body on frame, rwd cruiser but I am not counting on it.  

fordman50 fordman50
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/09
05:46 PM

Wow! That's quite an undertaking. After reading the latest car craft articles on the 4.6 & 5.4 ford mod motors, it might be a whole lot easier, and cheaper to upgrade the original motor in the crown vic. Or do the same to the older caprice.
There's alot of after market parts for the ford out there; they may cost more than the equivalent chevy parts, but the cost of fabrication and wiring and.....
not to mention time and money when swapping in chevy running gear. But that's just me. If you can successfully do it, my hats off to you!  

10:57 PM

Well to tell you the truth I am a Chevy guy at heart who was driven in to the arms of another woman named Ford when they stopped making the Caprice in 96. If the Ford motor was promising I would just mod it but the very premise of a OHC engine good at top end power but lacking the torque curve to move a big car makes me say "If you are gonna swap the motor, swap it to the right motor, not a bigger mistake which is what the 5.4 liter is. You know looking back when I was 14 I had the same idea about putting a Cadillac Northstar engine in a Lincoln Town Car because I hated the Caddy styling and front wheel drive and liked the Town Car looks. Looking at another post someone brought up a good point about OBDII inspection and the computer identifying the Chevy PCM in the FORD car and that being a problem. Honestly I am not too worried about that, just the cost to benefit ratio of having what would have been the natural evolution of the Caprice if it had not ceased production. Putting the LSx motor in the Caprice would be the waste because for the money the swap would cost you could supe up the LT1 to the same power levels as the LS1. The Crown Vic has nothing to lose cause it is already slow and there is a ton of them still being produced.  

smallblockjunkie smallblockjunkie
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/26/09
01:14 AM

I think the brakes have their own "brain" but I am not certain.  

460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC 460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC
Guru | Posts: 1163 | Joined: 10/03
Posted: 04/27/09
04:26 PM

This idea makes absolutely no sense.

It would never pass emissions inspection in many states.

You'd have to custom-build motor mounts, a transmission crossmember, the wiring harness and a scad of other supporting parts.  Not cheap. Not simple. Not easy.

Virtually every Ford Crafter and Panther fan would loathe it.

On the other hand, bolt-in modular power can satisfy almost any horsepower need (there are an increasing number of CVs, PIs, Marauders and other Panthers running in the 10s on modular-based powerplants (which is impressive for cars that tip the scales at more than 4,000 lbs in street trim).

A built, modular-powered CV would be welcomed at any number of Ford shows, if not most open shows.  It could be both fast AND serviceable at virtually any Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealership (if necessary). Unless it's way over-the-top, it probably would sneak past a lot of emissions inspectors.  

It's too bad that GM is "buying the farm" bit by bit (this week: Adios Pontiac--of course Pontiac has really been a zombie since they killed the "real" Pontiac V8 in 1979-81), but craming GM's antediluvian two-valve, pushrod-equipped lump of recycled beer cans into a Ford is hardly the solution.

Certainly, until the supplies of Panthers (the last "real" (non-unit-body) car that will likely ever be mass produced) dry up under various "cash for clunkers" schemes and Ford's short-sightedness, there will be a few who will attempt such backwoods "trailer park" crossbreed "motor swaps," but we should not encourage such pointlessness.

If you've got to have giant, "all motor" torque, then bolt in a modular V10 or (if you have no emissions concerns) swap in a Ford 460-based mountain motor (It couldn't be any more work than a Chevy mill) .  
--------------------------------
460_BBF_Turbo-in-CC (formerly Dr511scj) "This guy has no life other than posting endlessly on carcraft.com." -- Car Craft, July 2005
-------
October 1, 2003: " I'm thinking a couple of...turbos, blowing through an old Powerstroke intercooler...on a Super Cobra Jet-head 460 would be mad cheap and make sick power."
-------
"I have no problem with your...talking to several versions of yourself...or pointing out our failure to do a turbo story ...." --Douglas "CC/Rambler" Glad

Posted: 04/27/09
05:59 PM

"This idea makes absolutely no sense." Modifying cars to go faster makes no sense in general. I don't do anything cause it makes sense. I do it because I have to or want to.

"It would never pass emissions inspection in many states." Like I said previously I am not too worried about it passing emissions. You would be suprised at what technically should not pass that does everyday in this counrty.

"You'd have to custom-build motor mounts, a transmission crossmember, the wiring harness and a scad of other supporting parts.  Not cheap. Not simple. Not easy."
I would have to build custom lower mounts. I could probably get away with modifying a stock crossmember. If by custom build a wiring harness you mean hook up the GM harness to the ignition key then yeah I will custom build it. One area that could be hard and I will have to investigate would be making the power steering work. The only thing I like cheap, simple, or easy is my women.

"Virtually every Ford Crafter and Panther fan would loathe it." Not if they would enjoy a fast Crown Vic for a change. Most Panther fans I know like cop cars in general and like Caprices better.

"On the other hand, bolt-in modular power can satisfy almost any horsepower need (there are an increasing number of CVs, PIs, Marauders and other Panthers running in the 10s on modular-based powerplants (which is impressive for cars that tip the scales at more than 4,000 lbs in street trim)." You are right. For 2 Grand in parts plus labor I can put on a supercharger that makes as much power on premium as a Chevy 6.0 makes on regular. Not to mention you can get the 6.0 and tranny for as low as 1,000 out of a yard. And the power band is more realistic for the street. High winding OHC engines that start breathing well at 4000 rpm are cool... in race cars.

I would answer all your statements in this friendly debate in one post but I gotta get back to work. Happy wrenching.  

96gt4.6 96gt4.6
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/05/12
04:38 AM

Being a Ford Technician, i'm a child of the Blue Oval myself, but even I know when it comes to HP/$ the GEN III Chevy is king at the moment. A little forced induction on a $500 boneyard motor can produce in excess of 600RWHP on a bad day, as I discovered on my last build. So, being as I love Ford's and the power of the Chevy, why not marry the two?

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2606603&page=1

That link is to the build thread on my Turbocharged 6.0L Chevy Swapped '97 Crown Vic. Lots of pics/videos. Also is a link to my Turbocharged Chevy Mustang in the mix.