4L80E into Camaro

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

4L80E into Camaro

smallblockjunkie smallblockjunkie
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 05/25/09
06:49 PM

I found a brand new 4L80E for sale at a very reasonable price.  I am building a 94 Camaro and have plans for a ls series motor or maybe a 6.0 or NOS breathing 5.3.  The question stems from the tranny.  It is a dealership replacement for either a 6.0 or 8.1 motor meant to be used in an HD series 4wd truck, what obstacles, if any, am I looking at here.  Transmission work is not my strong suit.  I would love to have a T56 but this thing is almost to cheap to be legal.  I would walk away instantly if I didn't know the back story.  

wdl4 wdl4
User | Posts: 139 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 05/25/09
08:09 PM

if this is a 4x4 trans the output shaft may be differant,too short. it will need the rear housing. if the price is that right it can be changed by a trans shop. should be able to find those parts  out of a use unit. it will not even have to be a good trans, those are hard parts that usully don`t go bad.  

JimmysJimmy JimmysJimmy
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/27/09
11:27 AM

The 4L80E is a fully-electric transmission that will require a powertrain control unit to run it.  If you're running the factory computer from an LS-Series, it will not work unless the computer and harness are from a vehicle that originally came with a 4L80E transmission.  If you really want to use this transmission you should check out Comp-U-Shift for a transmission control unit.  THE BAD PART.....they start out around $1200.00 for the unit.  The only other way to avoid this is to go with a full-manual-valve-body, but that's kind of impractical for a mainly street-driven car.  The 4L80E is a great transmission.  As stated earlier in the thread, you'll have to have it taken apart and have a 2WD output shaft and tailshaft housing for it.  
Jim
1994 S15 Jimmy LongRoof w/EFI LT1
1999 B4C Camaro 1-of-25

lssix lssix
New User | Posts: 23 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 05/27/09
08:18 PM

It's a bit heavy and proabably overkill for anything you will be doing with this car.  And even if you are making a lot of power this unit was built more for towing and HD type scenarios.   As it is now it's just a big horsepower sponge that'll still likely break depending on your aplication.  Unless you plan to tow your other camaro with this camaro there are better units out there.

You will need to either re pin a trans harness from a 60E aplication and have the ECU flashed with an 80E tune or invest in a standalone PCM.

You might also have problems fitting the trans in a 4th gen trans tunnel.  Then you need to mount the torque arm,  Sphon sells an X member mount for a little over $300 but I dont know if it works with 80E's.

For what it would take to fit this thing to your car you can either get a 60E or get a good 700R4 with an adaptor kit to fit an LSX motor and eliminate most or even all trans wiring.

All 4th gen driveshafts should work (stick or manual)  along with any stick or manual 3rd gen shaft except for the very early 200C cars.  

smallblockjunkie smallblockjunkie
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 05/28/09
05:35 PM

hey guys thanks for all the info.  I can't really decide which way to go.  I'm not looking for anything too crazy, maybe 385-400 rwhp.  For now I just want to focus on building a bullet proof bottom end and a really solid drivetrain in case I decide to throw a 200 shot on there later. I'm just shopping right now because I am leaving for Iraq in October and don't want to tear apart this car and come back a year from now wondering where I put everything.