rearend question

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

rearend question

po_choppa po_choppa
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 08/20/08
08:33 AM

im looking to beef up my 82 buick regal. 82 came out with a limited slip differential. i have a found a 10 bolt posi rearend out of an elcamino i belive to have the same size ring gear and 28 spline axle shafts. would like to know if this could be an easy swap by just exchanging the posi unit. if so would it have much of an effect on more power than the original limited slip diff.  

po_choppa po_choppa
Posted: 08/22/08
10:36 AM

Y  

po_choppa po_choppa
Posted: 08/24/08
02:59 PM

N  

NixVegaGT NixVegaGT
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/27/09
12:29 PM

They are the same body right? Like X-body or something, right?  
-Nic '73 Vega GT, Aluminum Wildcat 5.0

smallengineguy smallengineguy
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 05/10/09
06:16 AM

Any G-body rear (monte, Cutlass, etc) will bolt right in, although the most desirable are either the Grand National or Monte Carlo SS 8.5 rears. These are factory posi and have a larger ring gear, etc. MUCH better unit.  

bdvdw bdvdw
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 05/10/09
07:01 AM

depends on the carrier, origionaly set up gear ratio, 'not to mention the gears already have an established wear patern. it's easier, and smarter to swap the whole rear end.
otherwise you will need to reshim the gears properly again. and you might see premature gear failure due to wear, paterns.

and if your using say 2.73 gears, don't call sumit racing, they quoted me a month, after waiting 3months i canceled my order. they cost alittle more through jegs, but suposedly they have them on hand. grrrrrrr......

when i swaped ut my pinion yoke and seal, i goofed the, installed torque, with my factory gear set, they,ve been howling at me ever since. it's a very loud, very anoing noise.  i used to listen to the rumble of my engine on the freeway. after 2 years driving like that i still have to raise my voice just to speak  over the noise. but on the bright side there's no metal shavings in the gear lube, i chainge it once a year. and i've put over 80,000 miles on it like that.  

turbonasty turbonasty
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/27/09
03:37 PM

MC SS has the 7.5 the only Gbodys that recived the 8.5 10 bolts are the Turbo regals(GN, T type, turbo T and base regal w/turbo engine), Olds 442 and the Hurst Olds. The H/O is a 3.73 where as all the turbo regals are 3.42  
87 Buick Grand National GT3255E PTE turbo, Alky inj, TA headers, Extreme Automatics stage 2 2004r, HR swaybar, Umi Uppers and lowers, ESP Front Mount, yadda yadda. Engine unopened 181 K still runs low 12's and knocks down 22MPG running 75 plus.