Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

AMC 360??

javelinsst javelinsst
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/03
Posted: 08/07/03
06:54 AM

Help,

I was a long time chevy fan and still am, but i now own a 1971 javelin sst with a 360 and have no clue about the motor if anyone could direct me to combos that work or refrences to motor build ups that would be great.

thanks,

Jeff_paquin@hotmail.com

AMC390 AMC390
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/03
Posted: 08/14/03
08:50 AM

There are some pretty good sources of information on the web.

Here's a list of sites I visit on a regular basis:

www.amxfiles.com

www.amcwc.com

You could also buy the book "Performance, American Style" which is sold by most of the AMC parts dealers.  To find a parts dealer, check www.hemmings.com and look in the AMC parts section.  Most of the AMC dealers are listed.  The book lists how to modify AMC motors, and which factory parts to use.  As far as after market parts are concerned, each person has a preference.  I would recommend you contact people with experience, (use the above links to find contacts) and find a combo that fits your use.   

Hope this gets you headed in the right direction.

carcrafter carcrafter
User | Posts: 68 | Joined: 08/03
Posted: 08/23/03
03:26 PM

I've owned a few AMC 360's in jeeps..  never in a car.  The 360 is a great engine in my opinion and is alot cheaper and easier to find than a 390 or 401...  Jeep and AMC guys liken it to the chevy 350, due to its reliability and plentifulness of the casting.  As far as power combos, cam recomendations, etc.  I remember a few CC articles back in the sandal-clad Frieburger era (I'll have to dig through my back issues)..  One was a section where they listed recipes for 500hp poncho, chevy, ford, buick, mopar, and AMC 401.     There was another article also during that time with Cam recommendations by the experts for the usual makes, and including AMC!!!   I know alot of guys like the edelbrock performer intake as a good upgrade.  Most AMC factory 4 barrel intake manifolds accept only the weird motorcraft bolt pattern.  With an aftermarket intake, you can use any square-bore carb you want.  Edelbrock made a torker AMC intake, but I think unless you have a really gnarly hi-compression race engine with deep rear gears, stick with some kind of dual plane.      I've heard the early pre-smog heads flow much better, but they are hard to find and usually pricey..   You may already have a set on your '71 sst if it still has the original motor.    An excellent junkyard upgrade is to toss out the old points ignition system in favor of an  HEI setup.  The amc v8's used a motorcraft based high energy ignition system which I like very much.  You can find these in late 70's-80's wagoneers, fullsize cherokees, J10-20 trucks..  Be sure to grab the ignition control module (box on the inner fenderwell) along with the coil and the wiring harness.  You'll have to do a little creative wiring to make it work in your '71 but I'm sure its not that difficult.   For more good tech info from jeepers check out the tech forum at the international fullsize jeep association.  These guys are 100% AMC all the time   www.IFSJA.org  

carcrafter carcrafter
05:26 PM

From CC Sept. '98  360 AMC cam recommendations.  By Marlan Davis:  "The only problem with the AMC 360 is obtaining pistons to provide the desired 9.5:1 compression ratio.  By boring a 360 0.045 over to achieve a 4.125 bore-  the same as a 400 chevy small-block's -- you can use pistons designed for 18-degree chevy race heads.  Their valve reliefs are even in the right place.  Most 360 heads have 2.025/1.68 valves.  The most desirable heads are the '71 to mid-'73 units with 58cc chambers and stud-mounted rockers that can be made adjustable with aftermarket parts.  the '73-present heads have a paired fulcrum-type valvetrain that requires much machining to make them adjustable, and the '70 heads have 49cc chambers."

THE COMBO

AMC 367.8cid (360 bored .045 over)  9.5 comp.  71-73 58cc heads w/ stud rockers 2.025/1.68 stock valves, Edelbrock performer intake, holley 750cfm carb, ported manifolds or 1 3/4" headers w/ 2.5" dual exhaust,  AMC 904 torqueflit trans w/ 2.78:1 1st gear from '85 318 chrysler new yorker, 3.91:1 rear gears Chrysler 8 3/4 rearend,  3,250# gremlin, Daily driver, low 13's, high 12s

CAMS

Crane PowermaxH-288-2  (pn 864441)  lift .488/.527 duration 288/292 LDA 112  1.7:1 rockers recommended on exhaust only to increase lift & exhaust flow

will continue, more soon.  I have to go pick up my new tires Yee Hah!

"scrape every nook and cranny over and over, and catch the crud in an inverted garbage can lid or you'll get it all over the ground, track it into the house, and your mom will yell at you."   CC June '99

carcrafter carcrafter
09:31 PM

Ah, if you need more info on good cams for a street/strip 360 email me..

"scrape every nook and cranny over and over, and catch the crud in an inverted garbage can lid or you'll get it all over the ground, track it into the house, and your mom will yell at you."   CC June '99

OliverHevvy OliverHevvy
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 06/08/14
12:58 PM

Edelbrock has heads..... how much you looking to spend? It's nice to see a build on something a bit less common....