Specs on 1970 Ford 390

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

Specs on 1970 Ford 390

kolenich kolenich
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/05
Posted: 01/08/06
07:51 AM

I just picked up a 1970 Ford Galaxie Country sedan (wagon) with a 390 4v.  I am having a difficult time finding stock engine specs.  If somebody knows the hp/torque rating, compression and cam specs I would appreciate it.  

On the internet it looks like it could have 315 hp with a 10.5 compression but that seems high.

Thanks
Karl

v8drinker v8drinker
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 01/06
11:28 AM

Check your VIN for the engine code which should be the fifth character.

Personally I don't know much, but my sources for 1970 FE's show:

Code  Y = 390 2v  Code Q, R or P = 428 4v  Cobra Jet; Police

So I'm not seeing a 390 4v for 1970 are you sure it's the original engine/intake manifold? Having the casting #s from the block and heads would help you more positively identify your engine.  Also there are some great FE resources on the net check:

http://groups.msn.com/TheFordFEGarage/homepage.msnw

http://fordfe.com

kolenich kolenich
06:42 PM

It looks like your right.  My fifth digit is Y so it must have originally been a 2v.  It has a stock looking for manifold with an edelbrock car so I though they just switched carbs.  I will have to go out there and see if I can get some numbers of the manifold if there where no 4v for that year something must have been swapped.

Thank you

karl

kolenich kolenich
Posted: 01/11/06
05:55 PM

I am trying to make sure that this is engine is even a 390.  Can someone please tell me how to identify a 390.  I dont see any papers on the valve covers.

Thank you
karl

v8drinker v8drinker
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/13/06
10:10 AM

Ok I'm no big expert here but since nobody else is helping I'll see what I can do.

First of all, if your Ford engine has 5 bolts in each valve cover, you have an FE.  These engines came in displacements ranging from 332 to 428 CID.  You will probably have a 352 cast into the left front of the block, but this does not designate the displacement; almost all FE blocks had it there.  Distinguishing a 360 from a 390 or can be difficult as the only real difference was the crank. 

Further, "Engines produced from January 1964 through February, 1973 have a metal id. tag, usually under the coil backet. This tag gives engine CID, model year, year of production, engine code number and change level. The change level code reflects component changes on an engine. On the second line of the tag is the production date.  The first digit is a number represendting the year, followed by a letter for the month.  The letter A represents January and continues on through M for December (letter I is not used).  The one or two digit number following the month code is the day of production.  The final code is the engine description: engine size, horsepower, carburetion and various other options."

If you're missing the identification tag, look for your block casting number on the outside of the block down near the pan rail.  it should look something like:  C8AE-6015-C    Send it to me and I can look it up for you.  Pull the oil pan and look at the crank.  Visible on one of the counterweights should be the crank casting number, it is probably 2U but it could look like C6AE-C or something similar.  As far as I know, this is the best way to tell for sure which FE you have.  If you can find these numbers I'll look them up, and get the head numbers too just for fun they will be between the exhaust ports.  If anybody knows an easier way to do this let us know.

jeremy067390 jeremy067390
User | Posts: 56 | Joined: 06/05
Posted: 01/17/06
09:16 AM

always easy to see in person is that the intake is huge and contains about a 1/4 of the cylinder head cause the pushrods go through it. if any of the valve cover seals against the intake its a 390. also like the last guy said five bolts in the cover 3 on top 2 on bottom silly huh? just wait for the leaks youll know