How do I reset security light on 97 Chevy Astro Van

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

How do I reset security light on 97 Chevy Astro Van

sneck sneck
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 04/06/08
05:18 AM

My 97 Chevy Astro Van starts ans stalls. It has 60 lb of fuel pressure, good spark and good oil pressure. I noticed that the security light is on and will not turn off after the car starts. The Padlock security system shuts off the fuel to the engine. How do I reset the security light of the Padlock system.  

vega_racer73 vega_racer73
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 12/07
08:13 AM

Turn the key to the "RUN" position and then just bump the starter. Let the vehicle sit with the key on for 15 miniutes turn the key to the off position and then do the procedure again one more time. After the 15 min soak time try to start it without turning to the off position. This should reset the anti-theft. If not, do the proceedure again from the begining. If this does not work then you probably have a problem with either the key and tumbler or the instrument cluster. If that is the case you will need to seek help at your local "QUALIFIED" repair shop. Don't just trust anyone 'cause you can get ripped off real easy with this stuff.  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 436 | Joined: 10/07
08:24 AM

the pass lock system resets after 4 minutes... gives you another chance to start the van....

you might be having problem with the resistor key to lock connections...

clean the key ... wd40 the lock.. and work the key in and out a few times and rotate the lock also...  the contacts get oxidized and dirty..... sometimes the lock cylinder  just wears out...  

6T6CHEVELLE 6T6CHEVELLE
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/12/08
03:55 PM

I used to work  as a G.M. Tech for 13 years. Try to turn the ignition key on to the run position then off. Turn back on till all waring light come on and leave on for about 12 min. Turn ignition off breifly, then back on for another 12 min. Turn off brifly then back on for 12 min more. If you have addional chip ignition keys you will need them now. Turn off ignition and remove key.. Insert additional key and tun on then off... Repeat for additional keys the same... then try to start vehicle. If vehicle still will not start problem is possibly a broken wire at the ignition lock - or cylinder ring. Most of the time they are not repairable due to the increased resistance values that may change when repairing thus altering the reading resistance on the Pass Key System. Part Will need to be replaced. If the Key You are using has a chip in the middle of the key blank you have a Pass Key II System. If not the chip is in the head of the key and it is a Pass Key III System. Good luck I hope this helps.