single turbo on a sbc

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

single turbo on a sbc

1990sss10 1990sss10
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 08/16/06
07:26 AM

I am well aware of the banks twin turbo kits, but I am more interested in fabricating a single turbo setup for my 350 I have already made the box for the carb and I have already started to gather parts (the oem turbo off of my cousins 91 talon which is a 14b, the air filter a universal cone with an open top, two 12 foot sections of 3 inch stainless (expensive) a few assorted flanges, and a blowoff valve.) I would like to know if anybody know where to find the approriate headers, I would like to set it up like that orange camaro in last months issue, also what kind of power could I expect from a healthy post 1986 small block chevy?   

speedzzter speedzzter
Guru | Posts: 1139 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/16/06
11:04 AM

Glad to see you're trying turbocharging (which is more than I can say for CC--we've been waiting for CC SBF turbo over a year now)

But assuming your "14b" turbo is a TD05H-14b, it's too small for a single turbo installation on a 350 SBC.

A TD05H-14b has a maximum practical flow limit of around 350 cfm at the sort of boost pressure you'll be able to run with unleaded gasoline on a non-intercooled, non-water/alcohol injected, iron-head small block (e.g.  8 psi, which is a "pressure ratio" of 1.54:1)  At 6,200 rpm, the engine should require at least 600 cfm at that pressure ratio (even if volumetric efficiency is somewhat low). Thus the small turbo will exessively heat the intake air and choke flow.

See http://www.stealth316.com/images/td05h-14b-cfm.gif

A pair of these turbos would work at low "street" boost levels.  Using two of them with intercooling and water/alcohol injection at 12 psi (1.88:1 pressure ratio) would put you right on the edge of the flow map at 60% turbo efficiency. (ideally, you'd want to be closer to 70-75% efficiency, which would require larger compressors)

Depending on the volumetric efficiency of your engine in naturally-aspirated form, the 12 psi combination above would be good for probably 550-620 h.p. on gasoline.   The small size of the "14b," even paired,  seems to be a limiting factor.  On the other hand, the "boost threshold" would be very low and the combination would probably have "killer" midrange torque (although the A/R of the turbines might be an issue).

You don't need anything more exotic than old, reliable iron exhaust manifolds at the kind of flow rates we're talking about here.  Banks makes over 800 h.p. with simple log manifolds on similar V8s.    Given that most of the unique benefits of headers come from overlap scavenging based on acoustic rarefaction, which isn't a consideration in a street turbo set-up (not to discount the pulse and backpressure effects of tuned headers), headers will provide only modest benefits for 10/10ths competition build-ups (probably only about 10-30 h.p.). Of course they do look cool.

There are SBC turbo headers for sale on eBay, but who knows the quality . . . . http://search.ebay.com/camaro-headers-sbc_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1

Edited 8/16/2006 1:28 pm by TurboTed  
http://speedzzter.blogspot.com

ader ader
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/04/06
02:10 PM

Hello, I am also doing a turbo project on my small block chevy.  I am on a budget and I am wondering what kind of carburator you are using for the boost. 

8sec-z 8sec-z
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/05/06
07:05 PM

CSU blow through carbs are the only way to go. You don't need to build a box around the carb to run one. They guarantee a perfect tune when you give them your combo specs.  

chowder48 chowder48
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/19/08
11:15 PM

yurbo ted what t3 t4 a/r combo would work the best for a sbc 350 ci   i was looking at a couple that have a turbine a/r .48 and comp a/r of.63  would these have enough flow for a stone stock 350 with a bg mighty demon 650cfm blowthru carb and hat as well as 228* i/e duration 112* lsa and 490 i/e lift   thanx  c  

MarkhamCornoit MarkhamCornoit
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 04/05/12
05:32 AM

I am building my first single turbo motor set up for a small block chevy and I was wondering are there any good single turbo kits out there to buy or is it better to get everything custom made? I see a lot of twin turbo kits but not any single and most kits are for mustangs.  
Vacuum Systems | Industrial Pumps |Centrifugal Pumps