Ad Radar
Car Craft
Click here to find out more!

painting flexable parts

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

painting flexable parts

monte85 monte85
User | Posts: 97 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 11/28/07
02:22 PM

My 85 monte has the flexable bumper covers.  Does anyone know if I need special paint for them.  I have a feeling if I use regular car paint, when these pieces flex it will just pop off.  

Guru | Posts: 793 | Joined: 11/05
Posted: 11/28/07
02:51 PM

There is something different...but I can't remember what.  It was about 5 years ago that I painted the bumper on my Camaro.  There are some paint guys here on this forum...they'll be able to get into more specifics.  

Casey McCall:What happened to your values?
Dan Rydell: I find that maintaining them is a lot of work. I take a day off every now and then.
Casey McCall: You take a vacation from doing the right thing?
Dan Rydell: Yeah. I don't loot storefronts or anything, but once in a while, when I consider the effort it takes to diligently adhere to a moral compass, I take myself out of the lineup and I rest up for the next game.
Casey McCall: I swear, you could run for Congress and win.

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 436 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 11/28/07
04:03 PM

it is best to talk to the supplier of the type of paint you are going to use..

many have flexable primers also..

they used to have an additive to make paint flexable.. some brands mixed a small batch of color in the flexable material..

there are so many differnt ways to do it now...    are both major autopaint suppliers..there are more...  

hippychick hippychick
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/30/07
11:06 AM

Yes there is a special additive you need.  And its just that,  its called flex additive.  If you don't add it to the paint went you paint those stupid plastic bumpers it will flake off.  Very important, and yes you also need it in your primer as well.  

monte85 monte85
User | Posts: 97 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 11/30/07
12:42 PM

Thanks for the info.  Can I add this to any paint or does it require some kind of special paint too?  I guess could just ask the guy at the parts store but its sometimes better to go in with some info instead of just relying on them.  

Mavman72 Mavman72
User | Posts: 187 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 11/30/07
09:50 PM

Flex additive is recommended when painting plastic body parts but,depending on the type of paint you use you can get away without it.Most base coat clear coat paints are flexible enough on ther own considering they are mostly polyester.If you use a single stage enamel without hardener and your surface prep is reeeaal good you can do without.If you use a hardener,use flex additive.  
Power is bliss Torque devine

hippychick hippychick
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/03/07
11:02 AM

You should use all the same brand.  You should also use an ahesive promoter on plastic parts.  I suppose you could get away without using the flex additive, but after doing all that work are you willing to take the chance?  I know we aren't around here.  When we do our own hotrods we add extra flex just to make sure.  Nothing worse than painting a bumper and then having problems later.  Stripping bumpers is not a fun job.  

sixtninecoug sixtninecoug
Enthusiast | Posts: 293 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 12/04/07
07:50 PM

Yes, they have a special procedure to painting plastics. If the plastics are raw (no primer, just bare plastic) there is a certain way to do it properly.

- Clean the bare part. Most paint companies have a special plastics cleaner available that you use with warm water and a scotchbrite pad. It is so you can remove the mold release agents that are on the part from the factory.

- after its clean and dry, you use a degreaser as usual. Waterborne degreasers are best for plastic parts as they help to prevent static electricity better than solventborne products.

WHEN APPLYING A NON SANDING SEALER (where you are simply going to paint the product and not do any block sanding on the part)
-  (A) an adhesion promotor is used next over the bare plastics. Typically one medium coat is applied. Then it flashes for a pre determined amount of time. After that a flexible sealer can be used and flashed off appropriately. Most companies offer a way to mix one of their sealers using a flex additive.


  (B) a flexible sealer made for plastics can be used here. You should not paint over adhesion promotor directly. This product takes the place of the adhesion promotor and acts as a sealer as well. (a specialized two-in-one product) Not all companies have something like this, but the company i work for does.

- In lieu of a flexed sealer (I.E- you have a repair you need to prime and sand) you can apply the adhesion promotor and then a flexed primer surfacer. After it is mixed allow it to dry properly and then sand as needed. Paint may be applied directly over in most cases after it is properly sanded as long as there are no breakthroughs.

- Basecoat. Apply normally. Bascoats are normally not flexed. If you do, they typically react and make a big mess. So unless they specifically say to flex them, dont.

- Clearcoats or single stage are indeed flexed. Use it, learn it, love it. Apply it normally, but remember to flex it properly.

Be happy with paint that sticks and doesnt flake off in sheets. Enjoy.  

bad4dr bad4dr
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 12/21/07
08:41 AM

The brand name that comes to mind is Bulldog.  Go to your paint supplier (a few auto parts stores may even have it) and tell them that you need some Bulldog.  They'll know exactly what you're talking about.