RE: 1967 American Motors Rambler - Build a $3,500 Street Machine

Car Craft
Item Posts    Sort Order

RE: 1967 American Motors Rambler - Build a $3,500 Street Machine

FastEddie597 FastEddie597
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/01/07
08:42 AM

Hi .. I have a couple of questions that I hope can get answered here. 1st- I have a 66 Rambler american convertible that I would like to convert to disc brakes. Can anyone give me a Positive Fitment of what other models will fit my 66? Also will I have to change the Spindles or just swap out the backing plates? 2nd- Is there a conversion kit out there that will allow a conversion to a small block Chevy Engine? Thanks  Cool  

55Guy 55Guy
Enthusiast | Posts: 444 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 10/02/07
07:23 AM

If I remember corectly, Doug Glad converted the project Rambler to discs using the units of a late 70s/early 80s AMC.

Let me see if I can dig out the story, and if it's on the site.  

sixtninecoug sixtninecoug
Enthusiast | Posts: 293 | Joined: 01/07
11:15 AM

i believe it was off of an AMC Concord for the disc brakes. Shouldnt be too hard to find if you have decent 'yards in the area.  

460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC 460-BBF-Turbo-In-CC
Guru | Posts: 1163 | Joined: 10/03
01:16 PM

Icon QuoteFastEddie597:
Is there a conversion kit out there that will allow a conversion to a small block Chevy Engine?

Another interesting "Brand X" car about to be needlessly defiled with a boring Bow-Tie lump. (Yawn. Zzzzzzzzzzz)

Why not trade the belly-button "small block Chevy" to some old, uncreative, balding,  Sans-a-Belt wearing street rodder (or Jeff "Camaro Craft" Smith) and score a real AMC V-8 out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee or something. They're still out there.

Or since Rambler is an adopted MoPar brand, stay in the greater Chrysler family.  Plenty of Dodge Rams in the 'yard.  And your reception at the Mopar Nats will be a lot friendlier.

Or if you just have to cross-breed because it's genetic or something, the SBF is cheap, easy to build, and can be lighter than SBCs.

Even a small intercooled turbo on the OEM AMC 6 (or maybe a JY M62 Eaton) would be more interesting than another boring SBC . . . .  
--------------------------------
460_BBF_Turbo-in-CC (formerly Dr511scj) "This guy has no life other than posting endlessly on carcraft.com." -- Car Craft, July 2005
-------
October 1, 2003: " I'm thinking a couple of...turbos, blowing through an old Powerstroke intercooler...on a Super Cobra Jet-head 460 would be mad cheap and make sick power."
-------
"I have no problem with your...talking to several versions of yourself...or pointing out our failure to do a turbo story ...." --Douglas "CC/Rambler" Glad

FastEddie597 FastEddie597
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/03/07
05:24 PM

I can see your point of the AMC or the Mopar Engines But I,m a Chevy Guy and I can Build a Chevy Motor Blindfolded! Plus everything for a SBC is readily available at any auto parts store!  Laugh  

HillbillySailor HillbillySailor
New User | Posts: 19 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 11/11/07
12:12 PM

FastEddie, I was brought into the car crafting fold working on Chevy engines too.  However, the Chrystler "A" engines are not hard to work on and are very plentiful.  A built 360 would really motivate that old Rambler...  

ramblin_robert ramblin_robert
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/22/07
08:01 PM

Check out www.americanpartsdepot.com . They have a disc brake conversion kit for $750. Kinda pricey, but easier than searching for and rebuilding junk yard parts. If nothing else, you can see exactly what is needed from the pics. Also....lots of write-ups on this conversion on the web. Try Amcyclopedia.com. Good Luck...Rob
p.s. I'm also interested in putting a 350 in my 1966 Rambler 770 Classic.